Theme Week-ROTY idols

Scurvy

I was excited about this theme week until it was time to write something.  I remember when I started the VHL and in my draft year I read forum posts where Nils Goldlander @Moon took home the ROTY trophy after an insane rookie season where he scored 53 goals 78 assist 131 points. 

My first player, Brian Payne was never even remotely close in consideration for rookie of the year honors as I will still figuring out how in the hell the VHL worked at that time.  I was lucky enough to play in the VHLE with legend, Bo Johansson who helped guide me into making Payne better.  It was no surprise that BoJo won the rookie of the year in S83 with 10g 71a 81points.  We miss you @Shindigs!

As I moved on to my current player, Logan Ninefingers I “thought” I knew better how to build a good power forward build.  I wanted to model my player after John Jameson @Frank, Duncan Idaho @OrbitingDeath , and Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeard.  All three of which won the Christian Stolzchweiger Trophy in their rookie season.  Let's take a look.

Duncan Idaho- In S77 Idaho entered the VHL’s as the 3rd overall pick to the always deadly Moscow Menace. 29g 30a 59 points in his rookie season won him the honors on his way to a Hall of Fame career.  When I came into the league as a first gen, Idaho was a beast with 5 straight 50 goal seasons and 2734 hits.

John Jameson- the S85 #2 pick played his entire career with Prague and took rookie of year honors in S86. 6 seasons with 42 or more goals and finished his final season with a whopping 80 assists and 127 points.  Added to this he had 3 straight seasons with over 300 hits. No doubt he was a first ballot Hall of Famer

Grimgor Ironhide- The 7th overall pick in S91 was the exact player I looked at when re-creating my new player.  Ironhide was in the VHLM when I played my short 20 game stint, and he was killing the M with 55g 70a 125pts.  So, I allocated my TPE points almost exactly like his.  In his rookie season with Helsinki, Grimgor hit the league with force scoring 37goals 45 assists for 82 points with 192 hits. Ironhide has continued his dominance in the league and already has 25 goals and 33 assists this season and in four seasons has 292 points in 262 games.  

So, did modeling my player after these three greats work?  So far?  Yes and no I would say.  I am nowhere near as good as these three but modeling my player’s points with Ironhide in the VHLM worked wonderfully as Ninefingers had 64g 88a 152 points.   In the VHL, Ninefingers was in the conversation for ROTY but ultimately had an average rookie season with a hot streak at the end.  Anyway, modeling your player is a great way to learn where and what to put TPE and has been helpful to me.  Congrats to all ROTY winners!