Changes in predictions from pre-season to now

scoop

J361If9.png

I gathered the data for the current predictions from the playoff bracket challenge. There were 53 submissions at the time. The preseason counts are based on the 71 submissions at the beginning of the season, excluding any submissions that did not select any team to win. There were 65 total picks for the NA champion and Continental Cup; there were 64 total picks for EU champion.

Given that we have the ability to see who other people have picked for the playoff bracket challenge, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the preseason predictions and compare them to the current predictions. As you can see, in the pre-season, people were a bit down on Toronto and Moscow to return to the finals. New York had actually been favored to win the Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy, and they failed to make the playoffs at all. Toronto only garnered 18.5% of the predictions, compared to over 50% of users picking them now. Riga had been favored in the preseason, just barely over Moscow, but the Menace are now heavy favorites. What I find particularly interesting with Moscow is that in the preseason, more people picked them to to win the Continental Cup than the Terence Fong Trophy. While I often will pick different teams just to hedge my bets, I didn't realize that many others do it as well.

I agree with Moscow being the favorites, and Malmo and Riga being split. I am, however, surprised at Toronto being the favorites in North America. Obviously they are the number one seed, but I thought people would be more concerned about Toddly Bobbly now that we are in the playoffs. I actually have Seattle winning over Toronto in my predictions, but Vancouver is my pick to ultimately make it to the finals from North America.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, scoop said:

I actually have Seattle winning over Toronto in my predictions, but Vancouver is my pick to ultimately make it to the finals from North America.

I agree, I think Seattle is gonna take down Toronto in like 5 games and then be beaten by Vancouver in a close series.