Claimed:Changing of the Guard [Final: 6/6]

Will

• Senior Admin

Changing of the Guard

The past week in the VHL has been, well, turbulent to say the least. We have seen two high-profile general managers leave their posts, a league commissioner sign his resignation letter, and now the VHL has been at a standstill since Wednesday due to a lockout between the league and the Game Official's Union (this includes referees, scorekeepers, goal judges, etc). 

This bumpy ride all started on Monday when former Helsinki Titans General Manager, STZ, announced he would be leaving his post. Citing increasing family responsibilities and obligations, STZ passed the torch to the organizations then Vice-President, Draper. STZ had been with the club since Season 37 when he torch was passed to him by the illustrious Mitch Higgins. Although his run was cut short, STZ accomplished a great deal during his time with the team and hopefully Draper can continue to build upon that moving forward. 

charles-wang_392.jpg

STZ making the announcement about his pending departure. Note that the labour lockout included the people set up press conferences, so STZ borrowed the NYI setup.

The next one to bite the dust was David Collier, the now former General Manager of the Cologne Express. In a last-minute press conference, Collier announced he would be passing the reigns of the organization over to Devise22, his unofficial Co-GM for the past few years. Collier stated that he always viewed himself as a transitional GM and now that the team was in the good shape going into the future, it was time for him to step aside. Collier took over the Cologne portfolio during the S36 off-season. 

Up next, and the most surprising of the three, league commissioner Victor announced he would be stepping down, effective immediately. Victor noted that he simply could no longer keep up with the demanding pace of the job and that because he stepped up as a commissioner to ensure proactivity, he owed it to the league to step down when he could no longer guarantee it. Victor named no replacement but assured the league that his successor would be announced in the near future. 

Steve-Yzerman.jpeg

VHL Commissioner Victor as he announced his resignation.

That brings us to the ongoing lockout. A VHL game has not been played since last Wednesday, something players and fans alike are infuriated about as the VHL should be nearing playoff time. The cause of this lockout is unknown, as it isn't an official strike and the union hasn't made any demands, rather, they have just simply not shown up to any of the games. Speculation is that the one of the commissioners, the ever elusive Jardy, attempted to hardball the workers into accepting a 'liquor tax' on their salaries. In other words, money would be taken off each of their paycheques and would be used to fund the liquor supplies at VHL Headquarters. 

We expect things to be back to normal fairly soon, with games being played and a new commissioner named. This has been a very turbulent couple of weeks for the VHL, but has certainly been an interesting couple of weeks as well. That's about all I have to say tonight.

• Senior Admin

Yeah we'll be just fine. At worst, Higgins/sterling may have to resim the last sim but I expect the drunk will re-appear soon. I'm sure whoever turns out to be Victor's successor will do great things, and likewise for the new and future VHL GMs (except me, im awful).

The VHLM is getting hit the hardest by losing 3+ GM's and if they don't get lucky and find some great replacements this off-season, things could be shitty for them. 

Yeah we'll be just fine. At worst, Higgins/sterling may have to resim the last sim but I expect the drunk will re-appear soon. I'm sure whoever turns out to be Victor's successor will do great things, and likewise for the new and future VHL GMs (except me, im awful).

The VHLM is getting hit the hardest by losing 3+ GM's and if they don't get lucky and find some great replacements this off-season, things could be shitty for them. 

The VHLM changes GMs all the time 

• Senior Admin

The VHLM changes GMs all the time 

True but they're now losing 4 GMs, 3 of which are probably the most active and involved VHLM GMs currently 

But ya I'm sure they'll have no trouble finding some good replacements 

Content: 3/3

It's definitely been a crazy week.  Good luck as GM!

Grammar: 2/2 Nothing major. A few commas, and one typo.

•  Season 37 when the torch was passed -  typo, missing letter

Appearance: 1/1

Looks good

• 1 month later...