Claimed:Helsinki [FINAL 6/6]

Will

• Senior Admin

Bumpy Road for Helsinki

With 72 games played per team, the regular season has come to a close and the Season 41 Playoffs will be starting within the next couple of days. Despite a lacklustre season, the Helsinki Titans have still found themselves in a playoff position. Unfortunately, that position is third in the European Conference - behind the Riga Reign and the Cologne Express, not exactly where they want to be. 

20140430__sharkspurdy~4_400.JPG

Pictured (left to right): Chris Raymond, James Faraday, Oskars Harumpf, Jake Wylde.

If they want to be successful in the playoffs, however, the Titans are most definitely going to have to change something about the way they have been playing. The fact of the matter is, the Titans have lost 6 out of their last 10 games - most of which were against teams that they will need to beat in the playoffs. Clearly something has gone awry. Why does James Faraday, the leading point scorer for the Titans, have 73 points through 72 games when players such as Aksel Thommasen can generate 136? Or even Sachimo Zoidberg with 111?

Maybe the Titans need a line shakeup. Maybe they need a roster shakeup. Maybe they need a god damn drink before they play because they look pretty tense out there. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens in playoffs and beyond with the recent change in management for Helsinki. This off-season could be a critical point for them; with their ever aging goaltender Kimmo Salo playing shittier by the day, it's highly anticipated that the Titans may make some kind of a goalie-move this off-season. 

To get the perspective of one of the Titans players, we asked defender Jake Wylde to reflect on this past season:

"You know, it's been a tough year for all of us. We've had a tough time working together, maybe some of us aren't training hard enough. Whatever the problem is, we must move to rectify it in the very near future because, if not, it could be detrimental to this organization going forward.

I think we'll be fine though. Management knows what their doing, and our players are dedicated and passionate enough that they will pull out of this slump."

As you can see, the Titan players recognize that there is a problem as well. With the team losing veteran winger Willem Janssen to retirement at the conclusion of Season 41, their offensive lineup could be in trouble as well. I know I already said this in the above paragraph but, again, this off-season could truly be the most critical part of the future for the Helsinki Titans organization. 

20131101_030603_boyle_400.jpg

Jackson Miller pictured handling the puck through the neutral zone.

On the bright side, the Titans do have possession of the Toronto Legion's Season 42 1st rounder, a lottery pick. With that pick, the Titans could have a shot at drafting a young goaltender such as Jax Barnstormer or Callum Sinclair, or even a young forward. A more likely scenario, however, is that they move that shit for some veteran hardware or some future picks. 

In any event, the Titans are a team to watch in the seasons to come. 

Content: 3/3 Interesting read. Good luck to Helsinki in the playoffs. As I can see, there's been success so far.

Grammar: 2/2 Didn't spot anything. Looks great.

Appearance: 1/1 Nice pictures, and the layout is fine.

Final: 6/6

Great article! I only gave you 6 because you're the Commish and I'm scared.

• 2 weeks later...