Claimed:Don Draper: Hanging up the Hat [Final 6/6]

Will

• Senior Admin

Don Draper: Goodbye

giphy.gif

For 6 seasons now, we have had the pleasure of watching Don Draper play hockey on VHL rinks. Despite never quite breaking through to the 'elite' category of defenseman, Draper has served the Helsinki Titans well in the seasons he played with them. Draper always said that he would be a career-long Titan, and tonight it became clear that that will be (almost) true.

He was moved to Davos at the trade deadline, where he will play the rest of this season and then retire from the VHL for good. His career was largely unsuccessful and he does not have many significant achievements to boast. He was a mediocre defender and supposedly a half decent leader, which allowed him to win his only VHL awards - a pair of Grimm Jonsson Trophies. Awards are not everything, though, and it sometimes takes a certain kind of person to look past the list of awards that a player has won and really judge them based not on what they have won, but who they really are as a player. 

A slightly more positive storyline than Drapers career is the career of his player agent, William Shaw. A rookie agent when he brought Draper into the league, Shaw has proved himself as a top agent and has recently been hired as a VHL Commissioner. We're also already hearing great things about Shaw's next player, Aleksi Koponen, who is slated to enter the VHL in Season 45. 

Truthfully, though, Draper's time has just come. He could have held off until next season to retire, but it's not hard to see he wanted out. After Helsinki entered rebuild, Draper lost his good pal and linemate Jake Wylde, as he was moved to Quebec. We never saw Draper in the press until his retirement, but we heard rumours that he was quite upset without Wylde on the roster. Anyway, we still have a few weeks to watch Draper play out his career, though it will be odd seeing him in a purple Davos uniform. 

We did manage to get ahold of Draper and ask him for his thoughts on retiring:

"It was a hard call to make but, in the end, it was the right one. I would have loved to play my final two seasons, before mandatory retirement, in Helsinki. Obviously, that couldn't happen. The GM made the right call by rebuilding, but it sealed the fate of my career. That's okay, though, the time was right for me to call it a day. I'll be perfectly content watching the next generation of Titans from the stands in Helsinki."

giphy.gif

Content 2.5/3 - It's a high quality article, it's short of the word count, but I will not cripple you to a 5, it'll depend on the next grader. Good luck with the new player. 

Grammar 2/2 - 

entered rebuild = entered a rebuild 

Appearance 1/1 - Looks great, love the gif.

Grade: 5.5/6 (needs a second grade).