Claimed:Szatkowski Jr. It Is Over [Final 6/6]

Mike

Mike Szatkowski Jr.

After a rollercoaster ride of eight seasons we can finally call it a career for Mike Szatkowski Jr. It is a bittersweet moment that has me feeling both happy and sad. There were many individual and team accomplishments along the way. Yet his biggest memory will be the regret of not beating the Davos Dynamo. After an abysmal Season 43 playoff performance and an average World Cup outing one thing was clear. He would not be returning for a 9th year in Season 44 as many had hoped.

UF6LlPC.png

Szatkowski started things off on a high note with the Ottawa Lynx in Season 35. That season turned out great for him and the rest of the team as they won the VHLM Championship Founder’s Cup. Lynx GM Jim Gow assembled a team of motivated individuals that clicked on a deeper level. Robin Gow, Brennan McQueen, Robert Gow III, and Mike Szatkowski Jr. all eventually became teammates for the Riga Reign.

tSI9DqU.png

The rookie season was a huge letdown after the success in the minors. That first year Szatkowski recorded just fourteen wins. Many young athletes never get over this shock as they move to the pro level. They are used to success and being the best at every step toward the pro level. You see it a lot at the NFL level a player dominates in high school and college. They make it to the NFL and flame out after a few seasons. This initial failure was not a curse though as the motivation helped lead to seven successful seasons.

If he is to be remembered for one thing it has to be his regular season performance specifically with his ability to take over a game. In eight seasons Szatkowski Jr record 68 shutouts 2nd all-time in VHL history. He could be as inconsistent as anyone but he was definitely known to go on a shutout streak from time to time. During these instances he was as good as any goalie in the VHL’s history. Those types of performances helped earn him the nickname Shutkowski a name he full embraced and overused.

So at the end of the day was Szatkowski an average, good, or great goalie? Well in order to determine that you have to compare him to not only all of the goaltenders before him but the best of his day. In this instance we had three goalies rising up and ending around the same time. Those other two are Martin Brookside and Brick Wahl. When you truly reflect on the years they competed the results are clear.

fantasydLb_121213.jpg

Brick Wahl was the best playoff goalie with ice in his veins when the game was most important. Martin Brookside developed slower in terms of on the ice performance. Once he finally got going near the end of his career he played better than both Wahl and Szatkowski. Szatkowski on the other hand didn’t backup another goalie or spend another season in the minors. He took the lumps of a terrible rookie season and ended his career with a 92 save percentage. That is how I’d say this era went they were all great in certain things.

Finally I just want to list what he had accomplished at the end of it all. In Season 40 he finally earned a Continental Cup, Season 41 MVP Scotty Campbell Trophy winner, and also Aidan Shaw for best goalie. Mike is a six time VHL All Star. He also holds the records for most VHL Career games for a goalie with 519, most playoff games 77 for a goalie, and playoff wins for a goalie with 41. His 298 wins puts him 7th all time, 92 save percentage 19th all time, and a 2.25 G.A.A. 13th all time. A probable future Hall of Famer and I couldn’t be more proud. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. Edited by Mike

Content: 3/3 - Congrats on great career! Shutkowski was a great goalie, I'm sorry I couldn't win you the S43 World Cup :(. Glad to see you back with a new player that'll probably be a beast.

Grammar: 2/2 - Nothing

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks Great

Overall: 6/6