Sure, OK

CalgaryLate.jpg

Calgary, AB -- As we've learned before, sometimes the game of hockey does not go as planned. Sometimes, the Seattle Bears win the championship with the worst regular season record of any playoff team. Sometimes, Benjamin Glover retires without a championship. And sometimes, a second-year goalie coming off a 12-win season is on pace to have the second-best save percentage in the past six seasons.

"Nope, I don't get it either," Calgary goaltender Hans Wingate told reporters after the team's most recent win against Stockholm. "I'm not entirely sure why I'm playing so well, but I'll take it."

Wingate would go on to say that he fully expects to come back down to earth soon. Notably, he only needs to point to last season; Wingate held a save percentage around .920 for most of the year before failing miserably in his final ten games and plummeting down to .912. (That fall also helped Calgary secure the second pick in the draft.)

However, there are a few encouraging signs on the horizon. While data analysts expected Wingate's struggles to start in the current Calgary stretch against Euro powers, where he plays Cologne (3 times), Stockholm (2 times) and Davos in six straight games, he has currently allowed just three goals in three games during the first half of that stretch. And with more talent coming to Calgary in the form of Sachimo Zoidberg and Teuvo Ruutu, it's conceivable that he'll face fewer shots moving forward as well.