Claimed:Slaughter Prepares to Retire [Final 6/6]

sterling

Slaughter Prepares to Retire

Stockholm Vikings star forward Tom Slaughter sits very close to becoming  12th all-time on the Victory Hockey League’s scoring list. With 11 games remaining in Slaughter’s long and successful career, the forward looks to put the finishing touches on what is likely to be a first ballot Hall of Fame career. The ever present forward has quietly managed to have a very successful career in the VHL, often not getting the individual recognition of players in and around him, but that’s never bothered Tom Slaughter either.

“The way I look at it, it’s all about team success. Since I’ve been fortunate enough to play with the Labatte winner almost every year, the league MVP more times than not and a bunch of other guys winning awards, I kind of see myself as an assistant to their individual success and a beneficiary of that success has been the teams I’ve played on. Five Victory Cups and two Continental Cups, with a chance at another of each is what I take the most pride in,” Slaughter said.

EVANDER_KANE_672_BUF_PC.jpg

Slaughter has been a remarkable player in the VHL, easily the most successful of the Sterling Labatte Player Agency which boasts four Hall of Fame members already. He became second all-time on the practice hours logged list despite slowing down his training regime in later seasons and now easily sits ahead of Grimm Jonsson as Labatte’s top scoring player. With all that said, the forward hasn’t achieved nearly as much fanfare as his predecessors (having been barely and quietly voted in earlier this season as the VHL’s top player).

“I can’t really complain about the career I’ve made for myself in the VHL. I think I’ve accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish. I’ve had great teammates along the way and I’ve gotten to play on some astonishingly good teams. Being the last real player left from your generation is somewhat of a sad sight to behold. While all of my friends have moved on or retired from hockey, I’ve been playing out my last season in Sweden far away from home,” he said.

The New York dynasty core that Slaughter mentioned have all retired now. Goalie Brick Wahl and forward XXX retired last season while Odin Tordahl and Conner Low made their departures before. The five players colluded to create one of the most memorable teams in league history over a three season stretch that saw New York come to unmatched success in the franchise’s history. Slaughter, left New York the way Labatte’s last player did, being traded out for a king’s ransom in assets. Slaughter, for what it’s worth and for as unheralded as he has been, has quietly surpassed Tordahl, XXX, and Low in points produced. The three always gained more individual success as Slaughter aimed to assist them In their quest for the same.

“If there’s one thing I hope to be remembered for, it would be always doing the little things well. I’ve always prided myself on defensive play, killing penalties and winning face-offs. These aren’t the statistics people pay attention to, but they are what help teams win games. I’m hoping that I can be a part of my sixth Victory Cup this season because then people will see no matter where I play or whom I play with, winning has always followed me. I hope to be remembered as a good teammate and a player who did whatever it takes to win,” Slaughter said.

Content: 3/3 - Congrats on the great career! Glad I got to spend a couple seasons with you in New York and won a cup with you; with Zadorov :)!

Grammar: 2/2 -great

Appearance: 1/1 - looks great

Overall: 6/6