What's Wrong with Wingate?

CowboyinAmerica

CalgaryLate.jpg

Calgary, AB -- Going into the season, Hans Wingate was seemingly everybody's selection to win the Shaw Trophy. And frankly, the prediction made sense: After winning Top Goaltender in only his second season, many people believed that Wingate would even make a further leap in Year 3 and capture the title again.

But unfortunately, things have not exactly gone that way. More than halfway into his season, Wingate sits just fourth in save percentage and fifth in goals against average - both below his sophomore season. With the current slump now prolonged, it's safe to ask, what exactly is going wrong with Hans Wingate?

"I wish I knew," Wingate said. "I felt last year I played a little better than expected, so maybe this year I'm going back to where I should be. But even so, I felt that in my third season, I'd be doing a little better than I am currently."

Still, there is hope for Wingate. Ultimately, the goal for the Wranglers is a championship, and despite recent struggles, he still feels the team can turn it around come playoff time.

"Honestly, I feel we're actually a little better as underdogs. And that's where we're at right now. By the time we get to the playoffs, I hope I will have done enough to improve my skills and get back to top goaltender form."