Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

Molholt

05173de.png

Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

I know exactly how long it has been since there has been a Toronto Legion jersey retirement - a matter of days. However, when I announced the last one I had a feeling that one more would be coming as well. LeBeau was a key piece of the dominant Toronto teams of the late 30s, but one forward was also a big part of those teams. It has been nearly 10 seasons since this player left the Legion and the effect is still apparent, they haven't been able to fully replace his departure. The Legion often lived and died at the end of this player's stick, from scoring, passing, work on the defensive end and even to the faceoff circle. Another slightly delayed retirement, but I feel it is best to remember those great Toronto members late, rather than never. Join me in congratulating him as we hoist Niklas Lindberg's #91 into the rafters!

----------

Lindberg was brought into Toronto in S34 and made an immediate impact as the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy winner, given to the league's best rookie from that season. He developed all areas of his game in Season 35 and was a top forward on the team for Season 36, when he would help Toronto to the Victory Cup for best record during the regular season, as well as the conference title (Marlow-Marta Trophy). Toronto would falter in the Continental Cup finals, but would come back stronger in Season 37, winning the conference and the Continental Cup as well! Lindberg would also help the Legion to a third straight conference title in S38, but again they fell at the hands of Davos. Lindberg left the team in Season 39, due to his agent taking over the reigns in Vasteras, but left behind a legacy of prolific offense and two-way play, showcasing the MVP and Boulet winner he would become in his final two seasons.

Lindberg was the offensive force behind the strong late 30s Toronto Legion teams. While LeBeau kept them in the games, Lindberg helped them secure the points to win them. He didn't receive the individual accomplishments while in the Legion blue, but he would go on to win an MVP and Boulet Trophy in his final two seasons, something foreshadowed by his great two-way play in Toronto. He helped the Legion to their one cup in this time frame and three straight conference titles, definitely something to be proud of. He is honored in the VHL Hall of Fame already and now we honor Lindberg by hanging his number from the rafters, cementing his place among the Toronto Legion greats for all-time. Thanks Niklas!

----------

02b49d6.jpg

----------

Niklas Lindberg | Center | Toronto Legion

360 GP | 184G | 296A | 480P | 719H | 173SB | 31GWG

Toronto Legion Captain | S38

S34 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy

S36 Victory Cup (Toronto)

S36 Devon-Marlow Marta Trophy (Toronto)

S37 Devon-Marlow Marta Trophy (Toronto)

S37 Continental Cup (Toronto)

S38 Devon-Marlow Marta Trophy (Toronto)

1 minute ago, Victor said:

A great first-gen before we all decided to hate him. :P

Excellent choices to retire, representing the best Toronto era since the ancient glory days of S21ish

I was the baby grinch at the time, now I'm the young grinch