Claimed:Risky, but still fun. [Reviewed]

jRuutu

ski_jump_1549395c.jpg

Ever since Thomas Duddy arrived into New York, I have wanted to do one thing with him. That something is skijumping! I have always enjoyed the sport and now that Duddy is here, we can finally see who is the better skijumper! The battle started way back when we both were playing in Ottawa Lynx.  At first it was just friendly competition with mostly talk back and forth since skijumping is actually quite dangerous sport, especially if you have no experience at all. Also the coaching staff and GM´s in Ottawa gave us a list of activities that the players are forbidden to do, ski jumping was one of them so we had to just watch professionals do the jumping part. 

We still have the same rules here in New York, but since I´m the captain of the team, I decided to do something fun just before the playoffs start and challenged Thomas to 1v1, ski jumping competition! Pretty straight forward battle, who can jump the furthest is the winner. We both had three jumps and just in case we both jump similar distances, Tim Tebowgow from Calgary Wranglers was there to judge the style of the jumps, how well we land the jumps etc. It´s still not sure why Tim was in New York that day, but luckily for us, he was there and helped us out!

F5FXHHDGINP190M.RECT2100.jpg

You can get a nice speed from there, picture took while standing on top of the other section of the ramp.

The actual jumping part took place at my friends house here in New York. The ramp was quite small since we both are beginners, but the speeds are still fairly high so injuries were a big risk for both of us. I decided to go first since I´m the host of the event, I climbed on the roof and got ready,started to glide down the ramp, managed to get some speed and jumped! Solid four meters at least with a perfect landing in my opinion.  

Tim and Thomas were clearly amazed by my jumping skills so I reminded Thomas that we can end the competition now since it´s going to be hard to beat that, but Duddy refused to do so and started to climb on top of the roof. He glided down the ramp much faster than I did, he jumped and from the start it was clear something was not right. He did not have the same elegance and grace on his jump than I did and unfortunately for Duddy, he landed right on top of Tim´s 96´ Toyota Corolla that was parked next to the landing zone. It was at least two meters longer jump than my jump, but since he jumped clearly wide and landed on top of a car, the style points from Tim were not as good as mine were. 

I won the competition since, we both agreed that it´s time to call it a day before something really terrible happens. Miracle that Thomas did not get injured when he landed on top of the car.

Ranked:

great article! I haven't gone ski jumping ever, but it sure seems like it would hurt like hell if you landed on a car. Also I am slightly surprised something didn't happen to your house as well. Wish I had snow down here....

511 words :D