February Debate: NHL Rookie Race?

Kendrick

I decided to hopefully start a weekly debating thread to gain some discussion and possibly link some other hopeful recruits to the thread in hopes that they join our discussion and become acquainted with our board. So this week I figured I'd touch on a subject that ESPN/Yahoo Sports both reported on and that is the Rookie Race.

Currently many feel as though Artemi Panarin (Chicago Blackhawks) is the frontrunner for the Calder Trophy in the NHL. However, some have discredited his Calder chances because he played in the KHL, is 24 years old and is competing against 18-22 year old players for the award.

Artemi+Panarin+HYBw3w9VbO4m.jpg

(60GP, 22G, 35A, 57P, +7)

Do you feel as though Panarin should have marks against him for winning the award because of age, prior pro experience and his opponents ages? Or do you feel as though if the NHL wants to have writers and media knock him down some notches they should re-define their term of "Rookie"? Let us know below:

Edited by Kendrick

20 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

I think you have to take it all into consideration. 24 is pretty old for a rookie, especially a forward.

Should go to Gostisbehere in my completely unbiased opinion.

But the argument could be had that they should re-define their "rookie" term and in turn make the Calder eligibility within a certain age bracket.

Dont deserve the calder . If Panarin play is first season at 20 he never do what we do this year . Just imagine Larkin or Domi at 24 after 4-5 year play in KHL ,  both will probably beat Panarin

So i think Shayne G , Max D , Dylan L or Connor deserve it . But i put 50$ on Connor so plz Connor....

17 minutes ago, Butch said:

Dont deserve the calder . If Panarin play is first season at 20 he never do what we do this year . Just imagine Larkin or Domi at 24 after 4-5 year play in KHL ,  both will probably beat Panarin

So i think Shayne G , Max D , Dylan L or Connor deserve it . But i put 50$ on Connor so plz Connor....

Well the argument against that is that Panarin wasn't drafted and he was found by the Blackhawks, so some could say his handwork got him noticed and he has now packaged it together for a successful rookie campaign.

29 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

it is defined isnt it? he is under the age of 25 which is the limit im pretty sure. So what if he played in the KHL before hand. are we going to discredit Auston Matthews next year because he played in Switzerland this year?  

I think the news sources are referring to the fact Panarin spent 3 seasons playing professional hockey after his initial draft year.

Just now, Kendrick said:

I think the news sources are referring to the fact Panarin spent 3 seasons playing professional hockey after his initial draft year.

well thats not his fault i would say. no one showed interest in him. so he continued his hockey career. Blake Wheeler didnt start in the NHL until he was 23 or 24 because he continued in college/uni. Tarasenko played in the KHL until he was 20 or something like that. Kuznetsov was 22? just seems funny that people are against Panarin because he is a bit older at 24. 

I feel it is within the rules so he should win it because he is doing really good on a good team as one of its top producers. 

1 minute ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

well thats not his fault i would say. no one showed interest in him. so he continued his hockey career. Blake Wheeler didnt start in the NHL until he was 23 or 24 because he continued in college/uni. Tarasenko played in the KHL until he was 20 or something like that. Kuznetsov was 22? just seems funny that people are against Panarin because he is a bit older at 24. 

I feel it is within the rules so he should win it because he is doing really good on a good team as one of its top producers. 

In the case of Blake Wheeler, that is college and not professional hockey. I also think you are confusing my thoughts with the news outlets. Never did I personally say I am against him winning it.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

In the case of Blake Wheeler, that is college and not professional hockey. I also think you are confusing my thoughts with the news outlets. Never did I personally say I am against him winning it.

oh i know, im just voicing my opinions on here to the guys who said they were against it. 

and yes Blake Wheeler is a bit different but he is still playing against men. 

12 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

oh i know, im just voicing my opinions on here to the guys who said they were against it. 

and yes Blake Wheeler is a bit different but he is still playing against men. 

Actually thats also debatable. Wheeler is a thick framed player and in college it would be like playing boys. Also money does have effect on someone.