Claimed:Reynaud gon' raid

scotty

Reynaud gon' raid

After a season of chemistry building in Vasteras, Leon Leitner and Willem Janssen will have the benefit of some additional bonding during the first edition of the VHL’s newly minted Super Cup.

The six team tournament was announced earlier this season as a new tournament designed to inject some new life into the league’s off-season schedule which had previously been dotted with the bi-annual VHL World Cup.

The Super Cup promises to be a hit with the league’s fanbase as it is essentially any fantasy sports manager’s dream; six teams of the league’s top players realigned to form ‘super’ teams. With fitting fantasy team names that pay homage to the league’s illustrious history, the league is hoping that teams like Pogge Sticks and Maximum Desny create more than just a buzz this off-season.

The 16-round snake draft gave each General Manager the type of fresh slate that several of their legitimate VHL management counterparts would kill over. With each team going in with differing strategies, fate would have it that Vasteras’ duo of promising young forwards would wind up landing on the same Super Cup roster.

Kopitar.jpg

Sergey Brovalenko will be relied on as a key offensive contributor for the Raid.

Janssen, the elder statesman of the two, wound up hearing his name called in the fifth round while soon-to-be sophomore centre Leon Leitner would hear his name two rounds later. The team? The Reynaud Raid, of course, a pun playing off the surname of VHL Hall of Famer Patrice Reynaud; one of the greatest defenseman to patrol the blueline in league history.

To add to this perfect scenario for the Iron Eagles’ management, The Reynaud Raid also managed to sandwich in the team’s starting goaltender, Eggly Baggelface, into the same roster as the team’s sixth round selection. One would have to think that Vasteras GM Thomas Corcoran is sending a very nice Christmas card to Sebastian Ball for uniting the trio of Iron Eagles in the Super Cup.

Seriously, about that Christmas card.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thrilled about how this played out,” Corcoran said. “I think I better find out Sebastian’s address and send him something nice for this. To have these three kids get an opportunity to play in an event like this, and be on the same team, it’s the perfect situation from our vantage point. Obviously we didn’t have the type of season where they could play in some big situation games so getting this experience at the Super Cup will be invaluable.”

While some might be skeptical about taking three young players, especially an unproven young goaltender, Ball’s shrewd draft strategy could pay off as he managed to stockpile three of the league’s premier defensemen (Alexander Valiq (1st), Zack Sound (3rd), Malcom Spud (4th) which should give the squad an interesting dynamic to consider.

“I went in with the intention of getting at least a couple top-end defensemen, that was my big goal at the draft,” Ball said. “To get Valiq and Sound, that was big. And then when I saw Spud on the board still with our fourth pick, I felt like those three guys would give us the top defensive corps in the tournament.”

With three players that can log heavy minutes on defense, the team’s ultimate fate will lie in its ability to score goals. Second round pick Sergey Brovalenko had only 71 points last season and represents the team’s best offensive threat. Meanwhile Janssen and Leitner are far from proven with a combined three seasons of VHL experience under their belts, so there’s no denying the fact that goal scoring could be a legitmate concern for this team.

But it’s a concern that the forwards will embrace.

“On paper, you can see the strength of our team is definitely on defense,” Janssen said. “But you know, we’re not going to get hung up on that. We’ve got a lot of talent up front and we’ve got some guys that are hungry to prove themselves on the big stage. I know I’m looking forward to getting out there and showing I can play with anyone in the league and I think the rest of our team will have that same mindset in the tournament.”

Will it be successful? We shall see.

Content: 3/3 - It's cool to see that Leitner and Janssen wind up on the same team once again. I think this website is more fun when you play with people you like, so I'm glad it worked out. Also, the Super Cup is a really cool idea which gets the whole league involved and allows for new players to be picked as well. I just wish the draft didn't take so long.

Grammar: 2/2 - Only a few.

fanbase = fan base

legitmate = legitimate

Appearance: 1/1 - Maybe add some color next time.

Overall: 6/6

Content: 3/3 - The upcoming Super Cup should indeed be interesting, as many members will have the opportunity to either continue playing with their current teammates, or have the ability to play with some new players they haven't ever played with before. The Raid may very well be a good team, but Maximum Desny is going to win it all anyway.

Grammar: 2/2 - Didn't notice anything else.

Appearance: 1/1 - Very nice.

Overall: 6/6

FINAL: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...