Claimed:Asher Donovan Trade Analysis [Reviewed]

Dangles13

Being traded is not always easy, moving and living out of a suitcase can add extra wear on a person. So when Asher Donovan was traded form the Yukon to Saskatoon I doubt many expected him to go off like he has. Maybe it's the climate change, maybe it is the fact that Saskatoon is a much better team, whatever the reason Donovan is not complaining about the results.

Playing in only 4 games for the Yukon Asher managed only two assists and zero goals. On top of poor production Donovan was a staggering minus 6 in those games, that was mostly due to the Rush being severely deficient in most positions but some of the onus was on Asher to perform better. Asher's time in Yukon wasn't all bad, he managed to throw 13 hits out and post 10 shots so the other team was aware of him when he was on the ice but the production was just not enough.

haRBQL7.gif

Enter Saskatoon, the Wild GM saw something in Donovan and his faith has been rewarded. In the 14 games that Asher has suited up for he has a very impressive 10 goals and 8 assists for 18 points. Asher has also been on the right side of the puck more often and is +7 since the trade, some of that is the team and some of that is learning how to play the right way. Despite the increased production Donovan has not faltered in the physical aspects of the game, he has plastered other players 45 times and managed to throw 44 shots the way of the goalie.

The sample size is very small but it is almost scary how much a team's total talent influences an individual players play. If Asher had remained with the Rush he might not even be in double digit scoring yet let alone over a point per game. What I find impressive is that Donovan manages to have the puck often enough to post high shot totals but also manages to find time to bump and grind players at a staggering rate. 

One aspect of the game that has not changed in Asher's game is shot blocking, his speed holds him back from getting into lanes and he has only blocked 4 shots on the season. Donovan has only blocked 1 shot in 14 games with Saskatoon and the coach will likely have some talks with him about how he can still improve to help his team. 

campbell1.gif?w=1000

Asher is well on his way to being a dominate power forward in the VHLM and is hopefully poised to break into the VHL in a season or two. As for now Asher will focus on helping his team in the playoffs and worry about the draft in a few weeks.

Review:

Nice job, I think this is the first VHLM trade breakdown media spot ever! The Donovan-Axelsson trade has been a huge reason that Saskatoon is doing so well down the stretch. Keep up the good work! And thanks for reminding me to talk about your blocked shot production :ph34r:

472 words :D 

• JPL changed the title to Claimed:Asher Donovan Trade Analysis [Reviewed]
  • DollarAndADream locked this topic