Claimed:New Additions [Reviewed]

New Additions

wolfandcub.jpg

The Quebec City Meute have played five games since the addition of defenseman Thomas Duddy and center Thaddeus Humbert, going 5-0 in those games. The team as a whole has played much better since then, Felipe Rodriguez in particular.

wild-beat-dallas-stars0141.jpg?w=810

Rodriguez celebrates a goal with his teammates.

Throughout the first 41 games of the season, Flip had only managed to score five goals while tacking on 19 helpers. He totaled 98 hits, 75 shots (6.67 shooting percentage), and 59 blocked shots. In their last five games, he has scored once, added six assists, and has maintained a plus-six rating. Off the puck, he has thrown the body around efficiently amassing 21 hits with only one trip to the sin bin, a holding penalty with less than four minutes left in a 3-1 victory over the Express.  He had arguably his best game of the season this past game when he had two assists, a plus-four rating, three shots, and five hits against the Vikings.

We caught up with Felipe to ask him a few questions about the recent additions to the team.

Interviewer: “You guys seem to be hitting your stride right now. How much have the recent additions to the team contributed to that?”

Flip: “I think they’ve been a huge help since stepping into the lineup. Duddy, for certain, has helped me out significantly. He’s allowed me a little more time on the bench so I can catch my breath and be more effective when I’m out on the ice. I think it shows in my recent performances. I’m so glad to have these guys with cup experience on the team and in the locker room.”

Interviewer: “There’s a lot of speculation that after this season, the team is essentially breaking up. What do you have to say on that?”

Flip: “Seems like a lot of guys are wanting to test free agency in the offseason. To be honest, if they leave, we’re pretty much screwed here in Quebec. We’ll have no draft picks, no really young players, and pretty much no players period. I hope if we win a cup this year, it will attract free agents. If it doesn’t, oh, well. There’s nothing anyone can do about it. We’ll press on. Sleeman and I just extended our contracts so we’ll be here ‘til the bitter end.”

Interviewer: “We reported recently on possible reasons for your down play this year. Can you give us any insight into your surprisingly low numbers this season?”

Flip: “I just wasn’t playing as well as I should be. I know that sounds like a lame answer but it’s the truth. There are a lot of talented guys out there but only two can get credit for the assist on each goal. If you look at my plus-minus rating, you’ll see I’m out there for quite a few more goals than I am against but the point production isn’t there. What am I, plus-38 this year? I only have 24 points so I think the points will come, I’ll get a lucky bounce here and there and my point total will improve over the back half the season. Oh, and as for the speculation, you guys were way off base. I just wasn’t playing well.”

Interviewer: “Sorry to cut you short but we’re running out of time here. Thanks for sitting with us. See you next time.”

Review:

Sounds nice, but I guess you are in win now mode. Think if everyone leaves for free agency, will brovy trade you? I would love to have you on Seattle :) good to see your plus minus up so high, hopefully the points come soon like u said!

565 words :D

• Smarch changed the title to New Additions [Reviewed]