2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Haha okay agree to disagree. Still putting too much weight into the PF role but whatever.

And you know what, I probably am :P And at the end of the day, I might be the one getting the short end of the stick :P

Here's a thought fong: do you think Bob Murray would trade Getzlaf for Toews? The answer is probably Yes. I know Scotty Bowman would probably shoot himself before trading Toews.

Not that I don't agree with you, but you don't know that, you're just basing it on your opinion.

It's a somewhat specious assumption.

Getzlaf is having a better year than Toews probably. I can admit that. I'm not saying he doesn't belong in a discussion, but to think he is a higher regarded player or would be selected ahead of Toews in a redraft of all NHL teams is somewhat silly IMO.

"I think it really says something that so many Hawks fans are willing to agree that Toews has been having a rough year, and yet he's still ~top10 in points"

- Best point in that thread. The expectations for Toews are so grand - higher than anyone sans Ovechkin and Crosby, maybe 1 or 2 others.

Also, Getzlaf is shooting near 20% this year. That's bound to come down, along with his scoring. He's a career 12.5% shooter, which is significantly lower than Toews' average of 15.0% (13.5% this season). Getzlaf is having a career season, Toews is probably playing on average. And they're not too far off from each other.

Just saying, I'm not the only one that likes Getz more than Toews. But I grew up watching him play with the hitmen too mind you, so I'm a bit more familiar with the his game than Toews who I saw get trashd by Zetterberg.

Just saying, I'm not the only one that likes Getz more than Toews. But I grew up watching him play with the hitmen too mind you, so I'm a bit more familiar with the his game than Toews who I saw get trashd by Zetterberg.

Most of the people in the argument from what I could tell were Ducks fans.

And that's my point exactly. That was maybe the worst stretch of games played by Toews I can remember.  Zetterberg was also not a bastion of scoring in that series. They finished with the same exact G/A. Zetterberg was 100% focused on stopping / chipping Toews. You're anti-Hawks I'm pretty sure, being a Detroit fan.

Eh no, I'm not anti hawk, I don't usually discriminate against teams if they are rivals. It just so happened to be the most games of Toews I've seen consecutively outside of intentional events or the regular season game here and there.

Hawks depth and Kane were just way better than what wings had. Not to mention DD was out and he is a rock on the back end.

The Hawks are an extremely well built team starting with Toews and Kane and Keith. Outside of goaltending I've never seen a weakness in their game in the Toews/Kane era. They are a mirror image of the early 2000 red Wings so I do enjoy watching them.

Edited by tfong

Eh no, I'm not anti hawk, I don't usually discriminate against teams if they are rivals. It just so happened to be the most games of Toews I've seen consecutively outside of intentional events or the regular season game here and there.

Hawks depth and Kane were just way better than what wings had. Not to mention DD was out and he is a rock on the back end.

The Hawks are an extremely well built team starting with Toews and Kane and Keith. Outside of goaltending I've never seen a weakness in their game in the Toews/Kane era. They are a mirror image of the early 2000 red Wings so I do enjoy watching them.

Fair enough - I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree moderately :)

Because HF Boards is the "be all, end all" of hockey discussion, lmfao...

Well it's fan base like any other. It just happens to have lots of fans from all teams on the boards.

Your opinion is no less or more credible than the next person on a fan forum really . But thanks for bringing some useful insight to the conversation.

Edited by tfong

Well it's fan base like any other. It just happens to have lots of fans from all teams on the boards.

Your opinion is no less or more credible than the next person on a fan forum really . But thanks for bringing some useful insight to the conversation.

It was never my intention to bring insight into the conversation. You want my opinion? I'd take Toews over Getzlaf every day of the week, regardless of if Toews isn't have a great season. Was just amused that you point at HF Boards like it's some glorious source of the most knowledgeable hockey fans on the planet, when it's kind of a shithole.

Cam fowler had one good rookie season and a bunch of so so seasons, everyone is holding him to that standard of the rookie season much like Tyler Myers. so yea Cam fowler is Decent now, but will he ever go to that same level or beyond? as for Toews v Getzlaf. its a matter of opinion. As i stated, who could go wrong with Toews or Getzlaf. Fong obviously likes Getzlaf? so? just because he would take Getz over Toews does not make him wrong. btw I hate you all. you guys just wanna argue and shit :P 

It was never my intention to bring insight into the conversation. You want my opinion? I'd take Toews over Getzlaf every day of the week, regardless of if Toews isn't have a great season. Was just amused that you point at HF Boards like it's some glorious source of the most knowledgeable hockey fans on the planet, when it's kind of a shithole.

I actually find the individual team forums of HFBoards to be pretty good (even if some of them are homer-ish, which can be expected). It's just when you get to any of the main boards. Then... :suicide:

Oh, and count me for Toews over Getzlaf.

HF is like any other board forum, it just has the most diverse one out there I think because it isn't team centric.

I didn't ask for your opinion really I was just stating how useless your comment was for the conversation. I just hate when people mock specific forums thinking their own forum is far superior in knowledge, everyone is pretty much the same.

The only place I stay away from is the trade section, because everyone over values their own players way too much.

Edited by tfong

HF is like any other board forum, it just has the most diverse one out there I think because it isn't team centric.

I didn't ask for your opinion really I was just stating how useless your comment was for the conversation. I just hate when people mock specific forums thinking their own forum is far superior in knowledge, everyone is pretty much the same.

The only place I stay away from is the trade section, because everyone over values their own players way too much.

I get what you are saying, but in your argument you made it seem like HF boards is exactly what Sandro said "the be all, end all". If you weren't intending for that then I think you worded it incorrectly.

I get what you are saying, but in your argument you made it seem like HF boards is exactly what Sandro said "the be all, end all". If you weren't intending for that then I think you worded it incorrectly.

I don't have the best English :P

Fun Question of the day: Eckblad or Jones?

Edited by tfong