2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Pretty sure Gabby is Ufa this year and on ir.

after realizing he can do amazing things with the sedins he'd want to stay. or never i guess he could get his stock up there, he is a right hand shot who could do wonders with the sedins. but then again he could pull an Anson Carter and bolt after and go back to being nothing 

Well his demand was like what 3-4m and he wanted multi year? Then when they balked he asked for a trade, I think that's how it went down.

I mean Rundblad doesn't look very good still but still young. But Turris is looking pretty legit now and I thought he was going to bust.

He wanted 4.5 over 3-4 years if I recall. Didn't get it so he signed a 2.25 Million over 2 years (during the season so more like 1.5 years) knowing full well he would test the market after that 1.5 years and so they traded him.

after realizing he can do amazing things with the sedins he'd want to stay. or never i guess he could get his stock up there, he is a right hand shot who could do wonders with the sedins. but then again he could pull an Anson Carter and bolt after and go back to being nothing 

"Right hand shot" Okayyyyyy then...

alg_rangers_marian_gaborik.jpg

Why the hell would the Canucks trade for Gaborik when they have Torts as a coach? They kind of had a falling out in New York in case that slipped your mind. That's just begging for disaster, not to mention your insane suggestion of a top 4 defenseman AND a top prospect for a 31 year old pending UFA.

EDIT: Not to mention no one else has found the level of chemistry that Alex Burrows has with the Twins. Regardless of whether he is producing, Daniel and Henrik have put up more points with him on their line. He knows how to read off of them, when and how to get involved in the cycle, etc. No one else on the team can do that and no one that is brought in via trade will be able to replicate that.

Edited by Sandro

i think full well frankie is good enough to come up and play more minutes, because you know they need defense so ok Bieska and a 1st for Marian Gaborik.

Columbus isn't lacking in defense, their group is pretty decent. On the other hand you think Corrado can take over Bieska matchup a that easily? I'm not sure of that one but I haven't seen him in a game recently.

Gaborik had a good first year under Torts, not sure how he feels playing under him again heh.

yes yes ok, my bad, forgot he was a lefty, hard to remember ever player and their hand they shoot with. and even if Torts is the coach, Im sure the sedins would elevate his play and its marian gaborik. Sure he's not what he used to be but is it not better than what we have? Jannick Hansen? Chris Higgins? Those guys are not top 6 forwards, sure they'll play well in that role for awhile but what happens when they dry up? Is this not why we want offence? Marian Gaborik has averaged 26.2 goals a year. Jannick Hansen has averaged 9.6. I love the guy, im a canucks fan but he is not top 6 material. 16.1 for Higgins. hes a boarder line 2nd liner. but than i guess you factor in defense Higgins could be a little better but we have a lot of defense. Gaborik also topped 40 goals 3 times and reaching 30 4 times. Higgins topped out at 27 and Hansen at 16.

Columbus isn't lacking in defense, their group is pretty decent. On the other hand you think Corrado can take over Bieska matchup a that easily? I'm not sure of that one but I haven't seen him in a game recently.

Gaborik had a good first year under Torts, not sure how he feels playing under him again heh.

Corrado wouldn't play Bieksa minutes per say, it'd help fill the void if everyone pitched in. Tanev could play bigger minutes i do believe and Columbus has a injury prone James Wisniewski, with Dalton Prout, maybe i havent watched much but isn't he a goon or atleast goonish. but yes upon further inspection, that defense is not as bad as i thought. 

I think you forget the fact that Gaborik is not what he used to be. Injuries have killed his skill it seems. Those 40/30 goal seasons seem to be a thing of the past now. On top of that, through his entire career, he's played only one full 82 game season two years ago. Trading Bieksa AND a prospect or pick would even be too much, since it's almost guaranteed that he WILL get injured. Plus, it doesn't matter how a player does if the coach hates him and vice versa. Every play of his will be scrutinized and he'll turn into the next David Booth.

Uhh.. and why not? He is on Florida and is in play

Because u misread. I said Alfredsson because he would be good with the twins but nucks prob don't want a retiring player at 38 and wings won't sell the guy running the pp.

I think you forget the fact that Gaborik is not what he used to be. Injuries have killed his skill it seems. Those 40/30 goal seasons seem to be a thing of the past now. On top of that, through his entire career, he's played only one full 82 game season two years ago. Trading Bieksa AND a prospect or pick would even be too much, since it's almost guaranteed that he WILL get injured. Plus, it doesn't matter how a player does if the coach hates him and vice versa. Every play of his will be scrutinized and he'll turn into the next David Booth.

crazier things have happened, i realize that he is not the player he used to be and/or is capable of. But from reading the posts prior to my trade suggestion is that the canucks need a shake up. how would acquiring a player of gaboriks name be. but yes i didn't exactly think it out with torts as coach i just went for the first player who plays RW and could be a good fit with the twins for offence. 

crazier things have happened, i realize that he is not the player he used to be and/or is capable of. But from reading the posts prior to my trade suggestion is that the canucks need a shake up. how would acquiring a player of gaboriks name be. but yes i didn't exactly think it out with torts as coach i just went for the first player who plays RW and could be a good fit with the twins for offence. 

Shawn, I know what you are saying but you don't trade a 1st, Bieksa or anything else for "crazier things have happened". He isn't Gaborik anymore, and all those stats and milestones you listed are the old Gaborik. He could be a good fit, he could not but their are too many negatives that come along with him.

1. Injuries

2. Torts w/Gabs is not good.

3. UFA

I better fit for the Canucks to get a grind and push guy with an offensive upside (i.e. Clowe, Moulson etc.) not that those two are available for them, but thats what they need. Moulson is the exact piece they would need because of his tools, he always finds a way to have his stick on the ice around the net (which made him huge in NY)

Shawn, I know what you are saying but you don't trade a 1st, Bieksa or anything else for "crazier things have happened". He isn't Gaborik anymore, and all those stats and milestones you listed are the old Gaborik. He could be a good fit, he could not but their are too many negatives that come along with him.

1. Injuries

2. Torts w/Gabs is not good.

3. UFA

I better fit for the Canucks to get a grind and push guy with an offensive upside (i.e. Clowe, Moulson etc.) not that those two are available for them, but thats what they need. Moulson is the exact piece they would need because of his tools, he always finds a way to have his stick on the ice around the net (which made him huge in NY)

that being said, Moulson is a UFA too, but i get what you are saying. 

Well all these hypothetical trade proposals will still never happen because Gillis

Pretty much this. MG can't make a trade to save his life, when he does it's because it was handed to him on a platter (ex. White for Ehrhoff, Tochkin+4th for Dalpe+Welsh).

that being said, Moulson is a UFA too, but i get what you are saying. 

But he is 5 years younger, you take a chance on that a lot more than Gaborik. Considering Moulson is Canadian as well who knows