2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Thank you Captain Obvious. I expected a suspension but this is stupid.

Are you kidding? He tried to get into the Flames LR. The fact that Hartley got fined as well is fair. Punishment to both but what Torts did was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. 

Edited by Devise22

Are you kidding? He tried to get into the Flames LR. The fact that Hartley got fined as well is fair. Punishment to both but what Torts did was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. 

6 games and no team contact, but Hartley gets off with a $25k fine for instigating the whole fucking thing. K.

Edited by Sandro

6 games and no team contact, but Hartley gets off with a $25k fine for instigating the whole fucking thing. K.

Sandro you're going a little over board. He deserves that. However, the league has sort of set a bad example. A guy gets 6 games and a suspension (justified) but players get away with a whole lot more on the ice? Now I see why careers have become shorter. Safety first.

So if you murdered my friend and I go murder you, only you should get charged with murder? What a bunch of nonsense. Hartley instigated an on the ice interaction. Torts yelled at him on the bench. Fine, both get 25K for that. But Torts went across another line and deserved his punishment for that. 

So if you murdered my friend and I go murder you, only you should get charged with murder? What a bunch of nonsense. Hartley instigated an on the ice interaction. Torts yelled at him on the bench. Fine, both get 25K for that. But Torts went across another line and deserved his punishment for that. 

Hey Devise, please take a moment to fucking read what I've said. I said Torts should be suspended. But Hartley got off damn easy considering the whole thing is avoided if he doesn't put his goons on to start the game with the message of "go out there and start something".

I think it was more of a joke that the players didn't get anything.  You're trying to eliminate bullshit like this from happening, suspend the players as well.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Torts gets more than half the guys suspended for headshots, and no one on the ice gets anything. It's a joke, the NHL is a joke, and it will be until they actually do something about it.

Edited by Sandro

Hartley apparently isn't allowed to play his 4th line and for doing so should be suspended. Lol

Did I say suspended? I think a larger fine for Hartley and 10 days / 4 games for Torts would've been fine. The entire sequence events was started by Hartley trying to "send a message" and Torts ended up crossing a line. Both are at fault.

The suspension for torts is fine tbh, I thought he would have gotten more actually. I think Heartly should have got around 50K, but that's just my view. Heartly shouldn't be suspended for putting out his fourth line, no way. But he should get a heafty fine for putting out goons regardless of position, which in turn is instigating and provoking the other team. 15 days and 6 games is fair I don't know why Sandro is going wild about it.

BUTTTTTTTTT

I find it comical that in this day in age walking into a tunnel and yelling gives out a larger suspension then most of the dangerous plays that get reviewed now-a-days. Yelling doesn't cause brain damage, stupid hits and unneeded fights do.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

I find it comical that in this day in age walking into a tunnel and yelling gives out a larger suspension then most of the dangerous plays that get reviewed now-a-days. Yelling doesn't cause brain damage, stupid hits and unneeded fights do.

I'm mad because of two things you mentioned: I think Hartley should've been fined more (at least 50k) and that the suspension is worse than many headshots.

I'm mad because of two things you mentioned: I think Hartley should've been fined more (at least 50k) and that the suspension is worse than many headshots.

What exactly is the amount going to change things? You realize the team usually pays these fines right? Torts is different, he gets docked pay, the team can't pay that.

• Head Moderator

The penalties are more so because Torts tried to enter the Flames LR. It just sets a bad precedent if he is allowed to do so.

Like what happens if instead of being held back by McGrattan, he decks him in the face? Now we have assault and law suits occurring. The Elliot Friedman article is spot on the money. He is the commentator for CBC HNIC for whomever asked who he was.

Remove the LR invasion and they get fined the same amounts likely.

As Paul Cruze was on radio saying "Hartley laid a trap, and Torts walked right into it. Gotta punish him for stupidity."