2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Sandro I think my issue with comparing this with head shots is unfair. The head shots take place on NHL ice, where players can expect to get hit. Are they always justified? No. Are they muggings? Of course. But once the horn blows and intermission hits...the game stops, the on ice stuff stops, and it becomes a real world situation. Had there of been no people trying to stop Torts who is to say he was just going to yell at Hartley? For all we know they would of gotten into an off the ice brawl. Which is assault. The NHL has to discipline that action as harshly as possible.

When we discuss discipline for hockey antics while a lot that has happen can be deplorable it still happens in the context of a hockey game. Things that happen after the players exit the ice and go to the intermission have to be treated as a bigger deal, regardless if the action in and of itself is as severe. Because it is a line nobody should ever think about crossing. Never. 

I do agree that headshots though are much worse in the context of severity, but at the same time if off ice antics become more popular it is easy to argue that you could see more severe consequences from that than anything on the ice. 

Sandro I think my issue with comparing this with head shots is unfair. The head shots take place on NHL ice, where players can expect to get hit. Are they always justified? No. Are they muggings? Of course. But once the horn blows and intermission hits...the game stops, the on ice stuff stops, and it becomes a real world situation. Had there of been no people trying to stop Torts who is to say he was just going to yell at Hartley? For all we know they would of gotten into an off the ice brawl. Which is assault. The NHL has to discipline that action as harshly as possible.

When we discuss discipline for hockey antics while a lot that has happen can be deplorable it still happens in the context of a hockey game. Things that happen after the players exit the ice and go to the intermission have to be treated as a bigger deal, regardless if the action in and of itself is as severe. Because it is a line nobody should ever think about crossing. Never. 

I do agree that headshots though are much worse in the context of severity, but at the same time if off ice antics become more popular it is easy to argue that you could see more severe consequences from that than anything on the ice. 

Also not to mention that off ice antics would then become a problem for someone like me, instead of someone like Bill Daly or Gary Bettman. I like to think that in the grand scheme of things, ultimately the people I am around have more authority than those two.

Also not to mention that off ice antics would then become a problem for someone like me, instead of someone like Bill Daly or Gary Bettman. I like to think that in the grand scheme of things, ultimately the people I am around have more authority than those two.

You also enter legal territory there in terms of lawsuits towards the NHL. Players, coaches, trainers, and fans should all be able to feel safe and protected from any form of physical contact once that horn blows. It is the NHL's job to ensure that remains. It is a line Torts can't cross. It is easy for us to justify with him because he had a right to be mad, but any number of things could go wrong once you let your tempers boil over and engage in those situations off the ice. 

I'd hope you guys have more authority as well. It's weird when actual proper assault charges and police get brought up in the context of pro sports considering the violent nature of a lot of sports. But I do agree with you, off ice antics if they persist in the NHL should be handled by police. 

You also enter legal territory there in terms of lawsuits towards the NHL. Players, coaches, trainers, and fans should all be able to feel safe and protected from any form of physical contact once that horn blows. It is the NHL's job to ensure that remains. It is a line Torts can't cross. It is easy for us to justify with him because he had a right to be mad, but any number of things could go wrong once you let your tempers boil over and engage in those situations off the ice. 

I'd hope you guys have more authority as well. It's weird when actual proper assault charges and police get brought up in the context of pro sports considering the violent nature of a lot of sports. But I do agree with you, off ice antics if they persist in the NHL should be handled by police. 

It is weird, because no one I work with has had to deal with a professional sports athlete, organization or figure on anything that sheds them in a negative light. Community events and stuff are what you usually here. I should mention the Bertuzzi thing was obviously on the ice so no police were involved, I think only judges and obviously attorneys and all those "tie pushers" as we call them.

Not only did the Islanders win tonight, but they beat the Rangers in their own building. You know what that means!..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6nx2d5q9o