Claimed:Hello [Reviewed]

Will

• Senior Admin

Calgary Wranglers frontman Aleksi Koponen is set to finish his 2nd last season in the league in the coming weeks. The Finnish native has kept an unusually low profile for the past few months as his team steamrolled the league into submission. Today we spoke to him in an exclusive interview to discuss the impending ending of his career, his recent all-star performance, and his plans for the remainder of the season.

Dick Whitman: In the most recent All-Star game you were drafted to Team Der Meister. You guys lost, obviously, but this All-Star game was peculiar in that the rhetoric coming out of Team Cocaine was...unusual. Was that a factor in the loss?

Aleksi Koponen: Hah, well, I don't pay attention to that stuff anymore. Maybe in my rookie years but, you see, I guess I've gotten slightly wiser over the years and I just don't pay much mind to that. But, uhm, yeah the game, I was happy to be playing along with Phil Hamilton again. We lost but most of us realize the All-Star game isn't to be taken with a straight face. Although, like you said, Team Cocaine was pretty fired up so I suppose they didn't get that memo. As for me, I play notoriously poor in All-Star games. 

Dick Whitman: You? Wise? No way! Haha! I'm kidding! So this is your second last All-Star game or well, you know, it could be your last depending on what happens between now and then. Do you have any plans you can share, I mean, what are you thinking for next season, your final season?

Aleksi Koponen: I haven't given it much thought, frankly. I am definitely playing, not retiring. But I'm not sure yet. I am once again a free agent and I haven't conferred with Calgary in any negotiations as of yet. I have enjoyed my time here though and I will give serious thought to remaining here. That said, there is lots of opportunity in the VHL coming up so who knows. We'll have to see how playoffs play out. 

Dick Whitman: Speaking of playoffs, Calgary had a fantastic regular season. What's the mindset of the team going into this? We all know anything can happen in playoffs, surely you know better than to underestimate the fuckery of STHS.

Aleksi Koponen: Absolutely, sure. We know we can't go into playoffs and be over-confidant just because we had a good regular season. There's still some nasty teams out there that will put up a fight and we ought to be prepared for that. Otherwise it could be another disappointing year. 

Dick Whitman: Okay, just one last question - give us your quick thoughts on the U.S. election! 

Aleksi Koponen: [dialtone]

*Dick Whitman is the Chief Sports Correspondent for VHL News Network   

Review:

@Draper, nice interview. It was nice playing with you in Quebec, too bad we couldn't bring home the cup any of those year. Best of luck in the future and in the playoffs though I hate to see a team that all the big name free agents flocked to actually put together such a successful season.

Grammar/Spelling/Content all check out. Keep it up!