Americans Organization Proud of Leadership Core

Devise

New York General Manager Ryan Power had a chance to speak to media in advance of the upcoming off-season events of the VHL. While of course Power was happy to see his team successful in their campaign this season, raising that Continental Cup, Power singled out the efforts of his leadership core. 

"Yeah of course we have to give love to the whole team. The unheralded acquisition of Tom "Two-Pass" Lincoln, and watching generational talent Unassisted sign for the remainder of his career. Both of those guys are playoff MVP material. But I think it's are very unheralded leadership core that deserves the biggest applause here. It's easy to forget that our Captain Bobby Digital, and two Assistant Captains Diana Maxwell and Essian Ravenwing were all clutch for us in the playoffs. That says nothing about all three's improved regular season either. It's easy to see the success and look to the new faces but those leaders in this locker room buried their heads after some struggling, rebuilding seasons, and they really did lead by example all season, and especially all playoffs long." 

The more you look at the performance of the leadership core, specifically in the playoffs, the more evidence you can clearly see. Despite being a defender, Digital finished the playoffs well over a point per game, tied for the league lead in shots blocked, featured in the top ten in hits and had a godly shooting percentage scoring 4 goals in the playoffs on only 13 shots. Digital knew when he was needed, and when he was he delivered. Meanwhile Diana Maxwell is another player that is probably overlooked for playoff MVP just due to how well her teammates performed. Maxwell finished tied for the lead in goals in the playoffs with Lincoln, was well over a point per game in fact third overall in total points in the playoffs, as well providing an unexpected physical presence with over 32 hits. Lastly we have Ravenwing, who just fell a point shy of the point per game pace, but more surprising is the 5 goals scored by Ravenwing, two of which were game winners. A primarily pass first player, Ravenwing like the other two members of the Americans leadership group constantly defined clutch play this season. Ravenwing who is a notable sportsman, carried his streak of zero PIMs all the way through the playoffs, and managed to continue stellar clutch play while staying out of the box. 

"As you dig through the stats, you see what our group was doing out there during the whole playoffs. It's hard not to be impressed with everyone on the club really, everyone but Samspon chipped in with at least 2 goals. I can't undervalue the work Ilya did for us, his first real challenge with more minutes and we felt as a group that he could deliver. But like I said before I think I'm most proud of our leadership core. It was a year where I think all of us felt we had a shot, but none of us were in a state ready to panic yet. We have a group that is going to stick together here for some seasons. But that leadership core wanted it to start this season, they played with a chip on their shoulder and proved exactly why they wear the letters on those sweaters." 

It is highly documented that New York is over the cap as of now heading into the S53 off-season. Moves will have to be made to put the team under the cap, although they are only slightly over now with two goalies on the roster. It'll be interesting to see how the Americans fare heading into Season 53, especially with SWC3 recently announcing he was going to stay on the Americans for 53 and not hit free agency. Will they be the team to chase in 53, or will a new contender emerge?