PS GM 3: Calgary vs. New York

JardyB10

9 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

OH YEAH AIN'T SO TOUGH ARE YA NEW YORK!? NYA G WAS AUTO'D IN HE'S SO GOOD

I was going to ask this, but why do CPU goalies have 99 leadership and experience? Technically that is the reason why he was "auto'd" in over Power because back up goalies CPU wise are overall better than both myself and Degrath. Simply because they have 99 in stats that we start at 35 in. I'm not honestly that concerned about it, but mostly curious why we went the "spend 200 TPE on backup" route only to have PS, Experience and Leadership all boosted. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

I was going to ask this, but why do CPU goalies have 99 leadership and experience? Technically that is the reason why he was "auto'd" in over Power because back up goalies CPU wise are overall better than both myself and Degrath. Simply because they have 99 in stats that we start at 35 in. I'm not honestly that concerned about it, but mostly curious why we went the "spend 200 TPE on backup" route only to have PS, Experience and Leadership all boosted. 

Actually you do raise a good point on those skills boosting Overall. I didn't realize until now that LD and EX raised overall more for goalies than everyone else. So I adjusted that just now, thank you. Also PS shouldn't have been boosted for backups. I think before we got the stupid idea of adding PS as updateable I was arbitrarily setting goalies' PS stats to 65, and I just never went back and changed it. Which I also did now, so thank you. With those changes, Auto-Lines now thinks you're marginally better than NYA G! Ditto for mist4ke and DAV G. Not so for Rubber Moon and HSK G, but I'm assuming that will change after the update.

ANYWAY, as to actually answer your question now, I maxed out EX and LD on CPUs as a sort of experiment (which I talk a bit about on my podcasts). Those attributes have always been dubious to update because we don't really understand how they affect the sim/our players. According to STHS they affect Morale, which is allegedly supposed to give teams/players a boost or something. And we've never had Morale turned off, at least not since I've been here/took over simming. So it's a floating attribute in the sim that's always been on, and is allegedly affected by LD and EX, and apparently on each team's winning habits. Now, if you look at everyone's Morale from S49 Rosters, you'll notice that for each team, everyone's individual Morale is the same, regardless of their individual EX and LD, which is kind of odd/dumb. You'll also notice that individual player MO barely moves from the 40 it begins every season with. Quebec players (who were first in the league) have a Morale of 48. New York player's inexplicably have the highest, at 50. I'm assuming they had a higher overall EX and LD stats. They also apparently randomly had one CPU with 99 LD and EX, so that may have helped.

On the other end of the spectrum, Stockholm was a terrible team and their Morale sank to 34 for individual players, so still not much. Calgary is a bit of a strange anomaly because they were even worse and yet everyone is still at 40. I'm assuming this is because they're stoic robots, idk.

Team morale is a different story, as it always floated pretty well. Quebec and other top teams in the league have a team Morale of 82-84, while Stockholm has a team morale of 7, and Calgary 1.

ANYWAY, so while I would assume EX and LD would affect a player's individual morale (and perhaps some overall team morale) this doesn't appear to be the case, since every player on a team's individual MO seems to be connected. But how come it doesn't float as fluidly as Team Morale, even on very experienced and high TPE teams? Well, my theory was that the CPUs (i.e. half the actual roster) were dragging it down with their base 40 EX and LD. So this season I decided to do the opposite.

So if you look at the Team Rosters for S52 (this file is from a day before the season ended. The index seems to show a version that was reset for playoffs), you'll see quite a different story that sort of lines up with my theory. Team Morale floats EVEN MORE now (New York has 96, Seattle has 97, Helsinki still has 2), but more importantly, the individual player MO floats quite a bit more! Seattle, the best team, has players with 72 morale. New York has 65. Riga has 69 (hehehe). You'd think EX and LD would help MO go up and prevent it from going down. But unexpectedly, it actually just helps it float more, as evidenced by Helsinki's players being at 16.

So basically this experiment was to see if we could make updating LD and EX more feasible. And I think we could! Although I should make a few changes to it though, such as making it so that there's a limited amount of CPUs per team with the 99s, so that it isn't more beneficial for competing teams to have a CPU instead of a less good player.

Alternatively, I could scrap the CPUs having 99s altogether, and make Morale boosts a Player Store option. I don't know how much individual player morale boosts player performance, but I'm assuming it does! I also don't know what would happen if I made an outlier mid-season. Would the player I gave a 10 point Morale boost to normalize to the rest of his team after a time? Would they normalize to him? Would they just keep the same Morale increase/decrease rate and he would stay 10 above his team for the rest of the season? Perhaps these are things I can play with this season.

32 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

Actually you do raise a good point on those skills boosting Overall. I didn't realize until now that LD and EX raised overall more for goalies than everyone else. So I adjusted that just now, thank you. Also PS shouldn't have been boosted for backups. I think before we got the stupid idea of adding PS as updateable I was arbitrarily setting goalies' PS stats to 65, and I just never went back and changed it. Which I also did now, so thank you. With those changes, Auto-Lines now thinks you're marginally better than NYA G! Ditto for mist4ke and DAV G. Not so for Rubber Moon and HSK G, but I'm assuming that will change after the update.

ANYWAY, as to actually answer your question now, I maxed out EX and LD on CPUs as a sort of experiment (which I talk a bit about on my podcasts). Those attributes have always been dubious to update because we don't really understand how they affect the sim/our players. According to STHS they affect Morale, which is allegedly supposed to give teams/players a boost or something. And we've never had Morale turned off, at least not since I've been here/took over simming. So it's a floating attribute in the sim that's always been on, and is allegedly affected by LD and EX, and apparently on each team's winning habits. Now, if you look at everyone's Morale from S49 Rosters, you'll notice that for each team, everyone's individual Morale is the same, regardless of their individual EX and LD, which is kind of odd/dumb. You'll also notice that individual player MO barely moves from the 40 it begins every season with. Quebec players (who were first in the league) have a Morale of 48. New York player's inexplicably have the highest, at 50. I'm assuming they had a higher overall EX and LD stats. They also apparently randomly had one CPU with 99 LD and EX, so that may have helped.

On the other end of the spectrum, Stockholm was a terrible team and their Morale sank to 34 for individual players, so still not much. Calgary is a bit of a strange anomaly because they were even worse and yet everyone is still at 40. I'm assuming this is because they're stoic robots, idk.

Team morale is a different story, as it always floated pretty well. Quebec and other top teams in the league have a team Morale of 82-84, while Stockholm has a team morale of 7, and Calgary 1.

ANYWAY, so while I would assume EX and LD would affect a player's individual morale (and perhaps some overall team morale) this doesn't appear to be the case, since every player on a team's individual MO seems to be connected. But how come it doesn't float as fluidly as Team Morale, even on very experienced and high TPE teams? Well, my theory was that the CPUs (i.e. half the actual roster) were dragging it down with their base 40 EX and LD. So this season I decided to do the opposite.

So if you look at the Team Rosters for S52 (this file is from a day before the season ended. The index seems to show a version that was reset for playoffs), you'll see quite a different story that sort of lines up with my theory. Team Morale floats EVEN MORE now (New York has 96, Seattle has 97, Helsinki still has 2), but more importantly, the individual player MO floats quite a bit more! Seattle, the best team, has players with 72 morale. New York has 65. Riga has 69 (hehehe). You'd think EX and LD would help MO go up and prevent it from going down. But unexpectedly, it actually just helps it float more, as evidenced by Helsinki's players being at 16.

So basically this experiment was to see if we could make updating LD and EX more feasible. And I think we could! Although I should make a few changes to it though, such as making it so that there's a limited amount of CPUs per team with the 99s, so that it isn't more beneficial for competing teams to have a CPU instead of a less good player.

Alternatively, I could scrap the CPUs having 99s altogether, and make Morale boosts a Player Store option. I don't know how much individual player morale boosts player performance, but I'm assuming it does! I also don't know what would happen if I made an outlier mid-season. Would the player I gave a 10 point Morale boost to normalize to the rest of his team after a time? Would they normalize to him? Would they just keep the same Morale increase/decrease rate and he would stay 10 above his team for the rest of the season? Perhaps these are things I can play with this season.

6/6

Presentation: Could use a picture or two to excite the readers.

Grammar: Surprisingly pretty good for a random rant about STHS attributes and how they affect our sims. I like that you even linked us to to prior indexes and explained each.

Overall: Good work! This could be part I of a good series though?

2 hours ago, Kendrick said:

6/6

Presentation: Could use a picture or two to excite the readers.

Grammar: Surprisingly pretty good for a random rant about STHS attributes and how they affect our sims. I like that you even linked us to to prior indexes and explained each.

Overall: Good work! This could be part I of a good series though?

Great! Can I use this for next week instead though? I'll be on an alcoholic bender vacation.

7 hours ago, HFD said:

Are preseason games played with regular season settings?

Yes and no. Yes in that all the settings are the same. No in that the big difference between these pre-season games and the regular season games is I made these games intense rivalries. All these teams used to have in-sim rivalries against each other, but we sadly eventually got rid of them because they make the games quite chaotic and unpredictable. I miss them though, so I turn them on for pre-season exhibition games. :(