Claimed:Fantasy Risers and Fallers; 2/11-2/17 [1/2]

scoop

Fantasy Risers and Fallers

2/11-2/17

Although I'm no longer running the VHFL, I still like to look at what's going on there. Last week I wrote a few articles about it, and I'm thinking I'll start a weekly article where I just talk about a few of the players on the rise and a few players on the decline to try to increase the hype for the VHFL. Or maybe it'll just be a one time thing, I don't know. I have a spreadsheet of data that I'm keeping up, but that is for my eyes only, though maybe at the end of the season I will release it to the public. It really isn't all that interesting, just a bunch of numbers, but those numbers allow me to write this article, so I need them. So how about I get into it, starting with the bad, in no particular order.

Disclaimer: I am only considering forwards and defensemen, not goalies, for this article

Falling

TXUuAAAAAAAAAFi4lpy1V4F+RnUmAAAAAAAAAFi4D Jeff Hamilton - Seattle Bears

After the first 19 games (for each team), Hamilton was the eight highest scoring player. He was second among defensemen, averaging 3.7 fantasy points/game. He had been living up to his 9.4 average draft position. Several Seattle players have actually seen a decline, as they haven't been seeing as many huge blowout wins lately. Hamilton has not dropped off into obscurity, of course but he did fall all the way to 24th overall and 6th among defensemen.

TXUuAAAAAAAAAFi4lpy1V4F+RnUmAAAAAAAAAFi4F Pietro Maximoff - Seattle Bears

Pietro Maximoff is still a fine fantasy payer, but in this recent set of 13 games, his production dropped off from the first 19. I suppose it's more likely a case of the team not being able to keep up with their strong start, but Maximoff saw the largest decrease in fantasy points per game, going from a second-best 4.3 down to 2.5 (during the 13 games). He still ranks eighth overall, but if he doesn't pick it up again he could settle a bit further down as the season goes deeper.

TXUuAAAAAAAAAFi4lpy1V4F+RnUmAAAAAAAAAFi4D Hector de la Riva - Retired

Okay, so I didn't want to just write about another Bear (though I could've, with Bogdan Podarok and Felipe Rodriguez being good candidates), so I decided to just do this, especially since it will be relevant later. Hector de la Riva was mistakenly signed to Davos and played in ten games, amassing a whopping 27.2 fantasy points. After that point, he was removed (as he has been retired for a good amount of time now), and therefore scored no points since then. Nobody drafted him so I suppose no harm done.

Rising

B9qM2o6Lsd1hAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCD Pavel Komarov - HC Davos Dynamo

This is why de la Riva is relevant: his removal from the Davos roster has skyrocketed Pavel Komarov's fantasy production. Komarov is now blocking a lot more shots, which has bumped him up to seventh in fantasy points, second among defensemen. He had the second most fantasy points during the last 13 games, averaging 4.7 per game. He had been a respectable fantasy player during the first several games, but he is quickly climbing to top player status. I would not be surprised to see him as one of the top three players by season's end.

B9qM2o6Lsd1hAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCF Phil Shankly - New York Americans

Phil Shankly had a notably bad rookie season, and his sophomore year got off to a similarly poor start. While he has always been racking up the hits, his offensive production was never quite there. He has been turning it on a bit more lately, and his fantasy owners should being noticing the difference. He nearly doubled his per game production in fantasy en route to climbing from 57th to 30th. This was the highest jump in the rankings.

B9qM2o6Lsd1hAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCD Lee King Snatch - Stockholm Vikings

Like Shankly, Lee King Snatch is another case of a player who struggled through the first 19 games, and has produced more to what we'd expect from him during the last 13. He is still just 48th in scoring overall, but he was 27th during this recent set after being 58th prior. What's notable about Snatch is that, unlike Shankly, he was a mid-round fantasy pick, averaging at 15.7 (Shankly's ADP was 26.0). He was a big letdown for teams who had picked him (going as high as seventh in one draft), which includes someone in every group (he was one of five defensemen picked in every draft).

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Fantasy Risers and Fallers; 2/11-2/17 [1/2]