Americans Wearing Down?

Devise

Much has been made about the record of the New York Americans vs fellow competing teams this season. The back to back Continental Cup winning squad has racked up a series of wins against the weaker teams in the league, but with the exception of solid performances against the Helsinki Titans the Americans have struggled against both Quebec and Stockholm thus far in their games this season. When GM Ryan power was asked if perhaps his team was beginning to show the wear of the repeat Cup win, and the fact that in both cases the Americans had to play the most series of any teams in the playoffs; 3 rounds each time; Power had the following to say.

I wouldn't say I haven't noticed it, but I'm not as concerned as I think some are. There are going to be ups and downs in a run, even with a team as good as the one we've had. I'll remind people that in Season 52, when we burst onto the scene if you could call it that, heading into the playoffs we were not the favorites. We were young, some of our core had yet to truly break out, and Ilya Kopralkov was seen as the band aid to try and keep us competitive with a better Seattle squad. After we upset Seattle that young hungry group of competitors went on to win the Continental Cup against the Riga Reign. Fast forward a year later and again the talk shifted. Would one of the rising teams out of Europe make their mark, both Stockholm and Helsinki were the in squads. And even still Seattle did a bang up job maintaining their team, and with a rookie goalie from my own player agency being a question mark, again we were doubted. And again, our group responds. 

So for us being doubted heading into the playoffs while still looking like a strong team overall is something we are completely comfortable with. People will focus on the fact that our Captain Bobby Digital has to do a lot of the defensive work on his own. But our organization has the utmost confidence in our entire group, and especially Jakab Holik, the very reason our defensive core lacks was to add him. And make no mistake he's a game changer. He's the type of player that can win games or even series on his own. Come playoff time this group is ready, and I know our boys are the type of warriors where just went you don't think they possibly could, they will threepeat faster than you can say "how did that happen."