Claimed: MVP talk

Tyler

The VHLM MVP race is coming down to the wire as is the playoff race itself. There are a few candidates across the league that at one point looked to be a runaway for the Las Vegas Aces, but it is coming closer now even if Vegas remains to far and away favorite. The top candidates are Luigi De Rossi of the Saksatoon Wild, Bo Boeser of the Ottawa Lynx, Rusty Trombone of the Las Vegas Aces and Vernon Von Axelberry also of the Aces. All of them present interesting cases, with the first two having carried the team and maybe being the more technical "valuable" player while the other two are helping to lead their star laden team to the top of the league standings.

De Rossi is a typical VHLM success story. A player who doesn't quite have the ability to make it to the big league but who is able to dominate a league filled with younger, smaller and generally less talented competition. He is technically still a Vikings prospect, though it seems highly unlikely at this point he will ever suit up for the Vikings. He has 105 points so far this year, and is far and away the best player on his team which currently sits in 3rd place across the league.

Next is one of the younger players in the minor league. Bo Boeser is a Season 55 player and is tearing up the league, which has his future handler's with the Toronto Legion excited about the young forward. He has 103 points thus far and is looking like a one year VHLM player, with it highly unlikely he will spend too much more time in the lower leagues. He has taken a beating though this season with over 400 hits taken, though it matches his rugged style of play perfectly. He should be a franchise player for the Legion for years to come.

Another Season 55 player, Rusty Trumbone has immediatly made an impact in Las Vegas where he has 99 points and is showing that you can be young and lead a team to the top of the league in your first year. He is arguably the most complete Season 55 player and is all but certain to make it to the VHL in his first year, which has the Dynamo excited for the future of their franchise to arrive. He is another hard working two way forward who puts up big number's. In other words, a player to build your team around. He isn't a draft eligible player but if he were there is a very high chance he would be the top pick, though he would have some competition there.

Vernon Von Axelberry is the only goalie on our list but it isn't for no reason. He has a .908 save percentage, a 1.64 goals against as well as having 52 wins and jut 7 losses total this year. He has been every bit as good as you expect from a championship caliber team, but in a league that is so heavily offense-based, it is obviously not easy for a goalie to get the props they may deserve. He is looked at as a top tier prospect for the Bears heading in to their future, but there have always been consistency and compete issues for this player that may come back to bite him.

I think it's hard to give the MVP to inactive's, but if they do deserve they deserve it. I'd love to give it to one of the two Vegas players but they do have the one knock against them that how valuable can you be if you have a teammate on the podium with you. I don't really know who the MVP is but I'm sure no matter who wins it will go to the most deserving player.

I say Luigi Del Rossi gets it since the while Ottawa offense runs through him and a little of Austin Hickey V and nothing else basically.

But Diego Jokinen is a dark horse especially with his 21 PPGs. The minor Titan Kronos.

Review:

Nice article. Very thorough. I haven't been following the VHLM to know if your points are valid so I'll take your word on it. Content and length check out. I did notice an apostrophe in "numbers" at one point when it wasn't needed but overall a job well done. Keep it up! 

It's been quite the point race for the top VHLM guys. Although, at this point, oddly, Saskatoon has 2 games left while everyone else has 5 and 6. Boeser will very likely not claim that point trophy, but that obviously doesn't take him out of the MVP slot. I don't think he'll win it though.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

It's been quite the point race for the top VHLM guys. Although, at this point, oddly, Saskatoon has 2 games left while everyone else has 5 and 6. Boeser will very likely not claim that point trophy, but that obviously doesn't take him out of the MVP slot. I don't think he'll win it though.

Before all your midseason additions I would say you were undoubtedly the MVP. But now you got people like Scheel and Do tearing it up.

16 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Before all your midseason additions I would say you were undoubtedly the MVP. But now you got people like Scheel and Do tearing it up.

Yeah, GM definitely brought in some good help and it spread out the scoring.

Obviously, Boeser was in for a ridiculous individual season before, but I'd rather the team do better. :P