Claimed: Penis 4 MVP [1/2]

Tyler

Shea-Weber-to-Vancouver-Maybe.jpg

When it comes to who is MVP there is no debate

@hedgehog337

Last week I took a look at who were the MVP candidates in the VHLM. I ultimately couldn't come to a conclusion or make a pick because of the nature of the league. However with the VHL I am ready to 100 percent argue for one player above the rest. There can objectively be a few candidates, but in the interest of what the award should mean and I would say has to mean, the obvious most valuable player is Guntis Petenis. He is basically the Reign franchise, as well as she should be after having dealt a valuable top 4 draft pick for his services before the draft last year. A move that was short sighted and much criticized at the time may well come back to bite them in the ass, but for now Petenis has had one of the best seasons a defenseman has had in the VHL in a while.

Offense was down overall this year with the top point scorer managing 40 points less than the points leader last year and yet despite this Petenis managed to more than double his 44 points last year while he was playing for the Seattle Bears. He had 93 points this year which included an incredible 39 goals scored to lead defenseman league wide in both stats. He was a force on the offensive end and the defensive end, with an incredible 396 hits dished out to opposing players. He had 305 penalty minutes as well which, we have to assume is proof of the players physical dominance as well as how he would stick up for his teammates, with 65 of those penalty minutes being by way of a fighting major, which is to say 13 fights overall. That figure towers over the other top players in the league and puts him into a class of his own. What they mean though is just how dominant he was for the success of his team.

The best way to look at who should win MVP is by considering what valuable means. It's obviously a bit of a tied argument at this point, but when handing out silverware, the most valuable player should not just be the best player it has to be the player who was most important to their team's success. Petenis led the Reign in almost every aspect recorded by the sim and was among the top 10 in the league in goals and points which, for a defensively dominant player, is obviously telling. I know he won't win. It will probably be whoever had the most points or whoever had the most hits or something like that, but there is little doubt that the most valuable player in the league is Guntis Petenis. 

Riga managed 84 points on the year and are currently down 2-0 in their first round playoff series with the Titans. They are heavy underdogs in that series, and despite it Petenis and crew have managed to keep the two games so far relatively close. They are heading home for games 3 and 4 and if they want to get back in the series it will take an MVP like effort from their best player. Also you get to decide if the spelling mistake in the title was intentional or not.

24 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Pisses me off but if Petenis does not win it's a joke by the people that vote.

Petenis* MVP since he had his fighting re-rolled to 40 at the start of the season but still 73 in STHS

Just now, punkhippie said:

Petenis* MVP since he had his fighting re-rolled to 40 at the start of the season but still 73 in STHS

Top D Ballot

Titan Kronos*

Guntis Petenis*

Black Velvet

*Not re-rolled and/or depreciated.

Bunch of cheats! I joke, but I like to imagine the outrage if it were the other way around though.