Claimed: Partnership over [1/2]

jRuutu

0L8fKch.png

Couple days ago Guntis Petenis left Quebec when he got put through the waiver process, New York claimed him, but then soon after traded him to Davos, so the European division is the place where Petenis will more than likely play rest of the season at least. That whole move came as a surprise to me personally, we played quite well together in my opinion, Petenis was the defensive one who allowed me to take bit more risks and quite often it worked like a charm, we were dominant as pair, ying and yang, offense and defense with a physical edge on both of us, but now those days are only a memory.

Perhaps this move is for the best though, I remember us having quite few fights in the past when I was a younger player and he was still playing in Riga if I remember correctly, he quite often won the fights, but I put up a good fight and did not give up easily. Interesting to see what happens if and when we drop the gloves in the future. Without bragging too much, I´m faster and stronger now than in the past, Petenis is older, so odds are for me to win any potential fight, at least if you ask from the bookies, I have much smaller odds for a fight win than Petenis has. They give 1,25 for me to win and close to 5 for Petenis.

small_TQbgGpAV16cFZNJIeFu_8GQqwsiSb7xbck

Picture of Davos

Since Petenis is not there and our partnership is over, I´m glad to see that I already have a new player next to me on the ice, Hudson Abbot is my new partner in defense.

Abbot joined Quebec from Stockholm and has played 8 games with us already, in those 8 games Abbot has 9 points, so a great start for him. Not always easy to come into a new team and play on a level you know you can play on and many hope you could play on, but Abbot came in and has played well, would not believe he has not even played 10 games with Quebec when you watch him out there, makes the right plays all the time.

In many ways Abbot is quite similar player as I am, excellent skater with great offensive instincts, really hard to knock him of the puck as well, there is one thing where we are bit different, when I go for the shot more often, Abbot is more of a pass first type of defender, when you put us both on the ice together, works quite nicely, shooter and a passer on the blueline!

Looking forward to seeing what happens during rest of the year, looking at the standings right now, Quebec has already secured a spot in the playoffs, so we can use rest of the year to try new things and ideas with lines etc. For example powerplay and penalty kill are never perfect, so we can put even more focus on those areas now that the big playoff monster is off our backs.