Sixten

Not a big fan of this. The text is not really good. Render efx are basic and the Bg too. We can see bg from the cut bg this is not blended at all. The orange shape behind tavares is useless and disturning imo.

you can do way better than that.

There is a difference between minimalist and lack of effort imo

This can be concidere as minimalist

Very basic sig but it's eye-attracting

ricky.png

1380527868-U11811.png

your sig looks like a 6 layers artwork imo

Edited by boubabi

I'm just sick of all sigs looking the same. My goal here was to make a sig that had merit without huge amounts of effects. I can tell you that a lot of effort went into the composition of this sig. Evidently it didn't pay off, but there was still plenty effort. 

People way too often think that effort is equal to layers. Many of my best sigs have 6 layers when you take the sig and render away. Case in point:

0DKVb1w.png

0AksIWA.png

The most effort in the sig shouldn't come from layers, it should come from thought being put into the sig.

Either way this apparently doesn't have the output that it's planned to, but my point is that effort is not equal to layers and effects, a point that I think the VHL's graphics community forgets about.

Edited by Noah!!

A great effort in a minimalisme art will usually result as an original piece of work.

Originality brings often more criticisms but it pay off when you it the right point. Thats why Titans. (A guy from sportzin) use if influence in render efx to make everyone use topaz. And most of the time, it's was overdone and I do this too. But, what is my point is that is not originality. It's only basic graphic that (sorry to say that) a noob can do. There's no advanced technic in there. Colored font with a basic texture in the BG. White line on overlay. A strange shape, black and white face and thats pretty much it.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you have the technic to do something way better than that, even if you try to do minimaliste art.

If kesler would have done that, he would have received a 0/2 on effort and probably a 1.75 on looking. But you have done it and you would claim minimaliste art so you'll probably get out of that with a 5/6 or a 6/6 when this is not a 3/6 for me.

I don't think you're being rude, and I'm sorry if I'm seeming rude too, I'm just enjoying this discussion. 

The thing with saying someone else could have done that with minimalist art is that somebody didn't. Now, this sig clearly isn't a success as it hasn't been received well, but I'm interested in continuing the theoretical discussion.

When it comes to something like minimalism, it isn't always technique, a lot of the time it's innovation. When you get into great visual artwork and things like "Voice of Fire," people say "Oh I could have come up with that," but the fact of the matter is that they didn't come up with it. Great art doesn't need to be difficult to create, it needs to be difficult to think about. I look at graphic design the same way that I look at art, wherein it's the aesthetic of something that is the ultimate goal. Sometimes to make something look great you need to put all kinds of layers and affects and the likes, but sometimes you don't.

When you look at a lot of my sigs that have been very popular, any noob could do them. Just as any noob could, in theory, create "Voice of Fire" or Jackson Pollock's "Number Five." Technique used to create visual art often results in good visual art, but it isn't the only indicator. When it comes to technical ability, I am nowhere near most of the graphics makers on this site. I use fairly basic techniques to create all of my sigs, but I create sigs that are different as a result, and that's why people want them. I've had a few instances where my 'style' of sigs become very popular and people want them, like my 'fucking' sigs, my latest round of typography sigs, my Hall of Fame sigs, even team sigs that I make every year. The reasoning behind this isn't because of my amazing technique, anybody can do typography in strings of swear words. People want them because they're different. They play with conventions and do different things. I would say in all of my catalogue of sigs, I could count on one finger the ones that use any techniques that could be considered advanced.  

Edited by Noah!!

To Noahs point, creativity and end result is far more important than effort when it comes to a finished product for a consumer. If your designer a website for someone for example, do they want the one that took the most work and effort? Or do they want the one that looks the best for their interests and is the most functional that they want to do? Don't confuse "effort" with skill. 

The skill Noah has is the presence and creativity to actually come up with what he has done. Judging things on the merit of effort is fine, but his end products always look sleek, sexy, and are sigs that I personally and tons around this league have always wanted. Also don't overplay the value of effort either. You act like it is the end all be all. Effort isn't some translated skill that only a select set of people have. You learn it, and grow it with time. Noah as an artist gets something that is the most fundamental part of the graphics making process. The vision to actually visualize a project and know where he wants to go with it, regardless of the "effort" he puts in or adding unnecessary layers or making it look like it came out of the sig factory. He picks a style, or takes on a challenge and goes to the end of his vision. That is far more of a creative and creator aspect that people who just add stuff because all the popular tutorials tell them to. 

To Noahs point, creativity and end result is far more important than effort when it comes to a finished product for a consumer. If your designer a website for someone for example, do they want the one that took the most work and effort? Or do they want the one that looks the best for their interests and is the most functional that they want to do? Don't confuse "effort" with skill. 

The skill Noah has is the presence and creativity to actually come up with what he has done. Judging things on the merit of effort is fine, but his end products always look sleek, sexy, and are sigs that I personally and tons around this league have always wanted. Also don't overplay the value of effort either. You act like it is the end all be all. Effort isn't some translated skill that only a select set of people have. You learn it, and grow it with time. Noah as an artist gets something that is the most fundamental part of the graphics making process. The vision to actually visualize a project and know where he wants to go with it, regardless of the "effort" he puts in or adding unnecessary layers or making it look like it came out of the sig factory. He picks a style, or takes on a challenge and goes to the end of his vision. That is far more of a creative and creator aspect that people who just add stuff because all the popular tutorials tell them to. 

Of course this is true for basically everytime but in this case, we are a website who gives points for efforts. So we need to evaluate the technique vs the result. I'm a big fan of minimalism because I'm the first to think that you don't need to put a mess in something to be concidere as a piece of art . But in this case, this is not a clean result or something like that. Minimalism is something that, put together, we don't see anything that can be added. But with this sig, it's looks like a unfinished collab. And the fact that the font is really noobish, it doesn't help. The render is kind of plain and the bg is boring.

Of course the sesult is more important than the effort (most of the time) but in this case, the result is not that good so and I don't think you can claim the effort on this one too.