Axelsson Nearing All-Time Hits Record

solas

Throughout his career, Theo Axelsson has established himself as a premier two-way forward in the VHL.  Now, over halfway through his final season, the Swede has a shot at making history.  At the moment, he seems on a fast track to his third Boulet Trophy with 58 points and 257 hits, but it’s his hit total that will be most focused on this season.  Over his first seven seasons, Axelsson has accumulated 2,320 hits in total - which puts him at 9th all-time.  Including this season’s total puts him at 2,577, good enough for 6th.  The record is currently held by Hall of Famer Zach Parechkin with 2,769 - and there’s still time to break it.

With 33 games left in the season, Axelsson would need to get 190 hits to tie Parechkin’s mark - and that would give him 449 hits on the season, good enough to break the record set by Simon Valmount in Season 49.  While stats usually balance out in the second half of the season, Axelsson is at an incredible pace right now - if he somehow manages to keep going at this speed, he’d end the year with 474 hits, which is over the regular season record by 30 and would put him past Parechkin’s all-time mark by 25.  

It’s certainly in the back of the two-time Boulet winner’s head.  “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about it,” he said after a recent 3-2 win over the Bears.  “I’ve already accomplished a lot in my career, so it would be nice to put my name in the record book to top things off.  Every once in a while I’ll be playing and think to myself ‘just one more hit and I can get closer to the record,’ but my main focus is just to win and help get Helsinki another cup.”

10 minutes ago, BOOM said:

I guess it's because I've never had players that good at one stat, but I've never kept track of any of my players stat totals. I can't name one total, for any of them tbh.

Personally, I just like keeping track of that stuff.  Plus I needed a topic for a 590 haha.

2 hours ago, solas said:

Personally, I just like keeping track of that stuff.  Plus I needed a topic for a 590 haha.

NO, don't get me wrong, it's cool. I think it's great to know when your players are approaching milestones! I just have no concept of how my guys did in the past. That's on me!