Jeff Traded Twice In Matter of Minutes

Soon after the celebrations ended in Davos, Switzerland, General Manager Tyler had the task of making sure his team remained cap compliant for next season. As previously reported here, veteran scoring winger Jeff Gow was well aware that he may be on the chopping block. Due to the salary cap and a focus on parity, veteran depth players do not always get the opportunity to remain on the same team year to year. In order to (correctly) maintain parity and prevent stacked teams from keeping their same roster every year, sacrifices to the current roster have to be made and young players have to pick up the slack. Therefore, Jeff was not too surprised when he received the news that he had been traded.

"I'm grateful for the time I've spent in Davos. They took a chance with me when they drafted me in the middle of the 1st round and they continued to believe in my development even when I stopped showing up for practice for over a year. All of our hard work was rewarded last season when we unexpectedly won the Continental Cup. I'm going to take the experience I have to New York and help the young guys there become professionals and put them on the right path to becoming successful in this league."

Up against a cap crush with no time to spare, the Americans were able to get Jeff for pennies on the dollar. The solid depth winger was acquired for a measly S63 3rd round draft pick. They Dynamo were able to make this trade due to having multiple young players from the VHLM ready to move up to the big leagues. While 3rd round picks are usually long shots, the Dynamo may be able to draft and develop another depth player with this pick due to increased recruitment the league has seen.

After receiving the news that he was traded to New York, Jeff did what every recently traded professional does - reach out to the new team's management and look for a place to live. After his first call to the NY GM wasn't picked up, Jeff left a voicemail expressing his excitement for joining the Americans and to give him a call back to talk about what the future holds. A couple minutes later, he received the call. After the usual pleasantries, the conversation took an unexpected turn:

Jeff: "Hey, what do you think about actually living in the city instead of having a home up in Westchester County? I know there's pros and cons to both, but..."

NY GM: "Hey Jeff, not to cut you off, but we have to talk about that. I'm sure you're aware of what happened to Brooks Orpik this off-season? Well, you're in a kind of similar situation. It is extremely unlikely that you'll be staying in the organization this season. We're looking to move you by the deadline but this is a fluid situation, so I wouldn't get too comfortable."

And it's a good thing he didn't, because shortly after, Jeff was flipped to the Quebec City Meute for a bunch of scrubs.