Mikka Pajari: Son of a Scrub [1/2]

Devise

Mikka Pajari: Son of a Scrub

Born October 22nd 1997 in Davos Switzerland, Mikka Pajari was destined to be a hockey player. However, he may not be destined to be a "good" hockey player. That all comes down to his lineage, as Pajari is the son of one of the VHL's most notable depth scrubs. That is of course Season 24 draftee, Rauno Pajari. Mikka first developed an interest in hockey at a relatively young age, as he watched his father play in the league. 

But before we get to hockey, to his VHL dreams, we must start with his life. Mikka spent the majority of his life in his hometown of Davos. One of the most notable aspects of Mikka's early life was that he was raised by a single parent. Despite having a relationship and knowing his father Rauno, Mikka was actually the result of a one night stand as his father was on a road trip through Davos, playing the VHL's very own Davos Dynamo. As such, he was raised and lived with his mother, Nina Brandis. Mikka's mother worked at the local embassy, and would go on to spend the majority of her life as a renown diplomat. 

At about age 6, Mikka knew he wanted to be a hockey player. His father got him into watching the VHL at a very early age, but despite that Mikka's favorite player in the VHL was not his father. If anything, Mikka loved getting in on the joke that his dad was a scrub in the VHL. Mikka's favorite VHL players growing up were names like Alexander Chershenko, Thomas O'Malley, and even later at he was in high school Unassisted. But there is no doubt his early affinity for the VHL is what motivated him to pursue the profession that his father did, even specific to the exact promotion. 

As Mikka was raised in a relatively comfortable position financially, he never wanted for a lot. As such he joined his first midget hockey team at age 7, and the rest as they say is history. Even when he was little he was always a notable skater, and he was very good at reading the ice. One aspect, and likely a huge aspect to the sport that took Mikka a long time to master was the stick. In general. Mikka could skate like it was second nature, however the moment a stick got into his hand it was like watching an gawky awkward teenage on his first date. 

Despite needing time to mature and growth with the game, Mikka stuck it out. Mikka was always just good enough to not get cut, and continue to make rosters all throughout his younger years. He would go from midget, to high school, minor league and later college level hockey. All of this took place in his hometown of Davos, as Mikka was a bit of a mamma's boy and didn't want to move away from the only family he really knew. 

While Mikka did have an ongoing relationship with his father Rauno throughout his childhood, it would usually end up as quick or extended visits. Early in his life Rauno was still playing in the VHL, so Mikka would only get to spend time with him during road trips, or in a few instances when he got to go on the road with his dad and attend some VHL games. 

Personally Mikka's life was never filled with that much drama. Before college Mikka spent most of his time in private schools, and had no problems focusing on both his education and his interest in the sport. In fact, until a turning point as he was in College Mikka lived a pretty cushy life. On top of never wanting for anything, he never really experienced any adversity. Due to his natural skating ability and his intelligence, even in hockey Mikka kind of just showed up and was good enough to make rosters. Even if he wasn't a notable player. His experience through school and most of College was much the same. 

That is of course until said turning point. Just before his 21st birthday, Mikka sat down with his mother having gone over a year since last seeing his father. His mother wanted to have a serious talk with him, and Mikka was curious what that would be about. Ultimately, after a very emotional conversation Mikka began to realize he was allowing himself to just coast through life. He wasn't pushing himself, and it seemed likely that even if he went to the VHL he could get overwhelmed. 

At first Mikka didn't want to believe it. He wanted to finish College, and head off to the VHL where he assumed he would likely to be able to make a roster. But after thinking on it, he realized his mother was right and that he needed to strive for something. As such, Mikka dropped out of college early, and gave his father a call. He wanted to begin training full time, and announce himself as an eligible prospect for the VHL. 

Mentally this was a lot to take on, as he began seriously training to enter the league it was then that Mikka realized, he wasn't nearly as good as he thought he was. Yes he could skate, yes he had finally been able to effectively use a stick. But was he good enough to hang with the some of his favorite VHL greats? Mikka had made it his personal mission upon leaving College to finally bring some prestige to the Pajair name. But after initial training with his father, he realized he had a long way to go. 

Humbled, Mikka decided to announce his interest in declaring for the VHL anywyas, and in Season 60 he did just that. While the rest of his VHL career is still history to be made, one of the most notable things about the switch to Mikka's psyche is his desire to get overwhelmed. After finally experiencing some struggle, Mikka realized that trying to make the VHL and become even as good as his dad wold take some doing. It would be an uphill battle the entire way, and ultimately it was this adversity that Mikka knew he should be craving. 

Now a member of the Riga Reign, the same team his dad was drafted for and initially played on, Mikka Pajari looks to stumble through the mud and come out on the other side. His story begs some interesting questions, most notably, can the son of a scrub ever aspire to more? With Mikka Pajari's legacy still very much left unwritten, we'll have to tune in to find out. 

13 hours ago, Victor said:

Chershenko ❤️

Haha yeah. I was going to go with him being a fan of Rauno, but then I realized it'd be a better gag if I instead made him a fan of all the good players that Devise himself traded for and won with. :P 

• Admin
7 hours ago, Devise said:

Haha yeah. I was going to go with him being a fan of Rauno, but then I realized it'd be a better gag if I instead made him a fan of all the good players that Devise himself traded for and won with. :P 

Devise often talk about Devise in third person?

Also Pajari was probably your best player other than Rift, you're too harsh on him!

50 minutes ago, Victor said:

Devise often talk about Devise in third person?

Also Pajari was probably your best player other than Rift, you're too harsh on him!

Pretty sure Pajari only was a point per game for a single season of his career. If that. But ultimately that is probably fair, I think Humbert might of actually been a more succesful player though, but both he and Laich position switched. Rift however, is my biggest mistake. Retiring my only shot at HoF down the drain might be the biggest mistake Devise made. That or not keeping Richardson/O'Malley together. 

Also I've spent far too much time not using internet handles and instead using my real name on the internet that sometimes I have to re remember that Devise isn't just a caricature of someone who rambles too much on a hockey league and is in fact, me. 

• 1 month later...

1114 words. I like it. Next time I would add a couple pictures and add some subtitles. Your paragraphs break it up but when the piece is this long subtitles really help the reader

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Mikka Pajari: Son of a Scrub [1/2]