Goodbye my lover - james blunt [1/2]

Tyler

9949050_web1_predators-golden-knights-ho

The Dynamo should look like a brand new team next season. Will it be a rebuild or a retool?

If you wanna be the champs you have to beat the champs and that's exactly what Quebec did this past week. After jumping out to an early two games to nothing lead in their semi final series they managed to squeek out a seven game series win. A two to one overtime win at home was what it took to beat the defending Continental Cup champs and they move on to face the heavily favoured Calgary Wranglers in the final series. Although Calgary is probably everyones pick to win it all, this season has shown the capacity for surprises. The other semifinalist was the Seattle Bears and to their credit they pushed Calgary harder then anyone else could have predicted. What should have been a four or five game series became a hard nosed six game series with the Bears offense at times exposing Calgarys defense.

The point of this article isn't to linger on the past but to look forward in a sense. Not to the finals, because I'm sure someone else will do that, but to the off season and wondering what is next for HC Davos. The team is coming off back to back seasons of contention but an aging core and free agency issues makes some wonder what is next for the Swiss team. Naturally, the first place to look is at the conctract spreadsheet to see who is back for next season and who will be long gone. Although there have been positive discussions the teams first overall pick in Season 59 is comitted to testing the market. Joseph Bassolino is one of the harder working players in the league let alone Davos yet the stats never seem to be there for him. A player that many had projected as a franchise altering forward has never reached the pinnacle of where we assumed he would be at this point. In free agency there is no doubt he will have lots of suitors, including Davos.

Probably the next most important player to shore up is Season 58 winger Axelsson. The Swedish forward had a torching start to the season and wound up scoring only once in the playoffs when the team needed him most. He is a great locker room presence and someone Davos is looking to bring back. If he does leave there won't be any shortage of teams looking to sign the depth winger. He is good for 20-30 goals every year and has a good presence in a teams locker room. He also brings with him cup winning experience. Another player teams will try and add to their roster is veteran winger David Kiaskov. He is nearing the end of his career but is still a point per game player if last season is any indication. Of course the questions remain about how much will he regress as he ages, but he proved his doubters wrong this season hitting his stride later in the season. Kiaskov seems comitted to free agency having only spent one season in Davos and the future unclear it makes some sense.

In terms of players staying with Davos there's my player The Charm. Time will tell what happens with him but he's still a young-ish player so there's no rush. Ko Kane, the captain, has signed on an extention. Should be a solid player regardless of what happens in the future. And last but certainly not least Gabriel McCalister has agreed to an extenstion for what will be his final VHL season. The first ballot hall of famer is a leader in the locker room and on the ice for our club and it will be interesting to see what happens there going foreard. If he's on the market teams will be lining up to add one of the leagues best players and best people in my experience. Being a goalie Brodeur likely has very little trade value. I may throw him in a deal as a sweetner or if I somehow am in an opportunity to compete he will keep giving the solid hockey he played late in the year as opposed to the piss poor hockey he played early!

Although the time of contending was short for Davos if this is the end I have very few regrets. I think maybe my drafting could have been a bit better (See S58) but then again no one could have predicted Hood falling off the face of the earth, and I certainly never got the impression that would happen based on discussions with him. Either way that's life in a sense and hopefully Davos is set for another run in the next couple of seasons.

Edited by Tyler

9 hours ago, Tyler said:

wrote this on break at work so please dont read it

also going to make it prettier after work

I won't read it but I will review it. 

777 words, solid amount of work done. Next time try to add a picture or two

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Goodbye my lover - james blunt [1/2]