Mr. Stoffiday goes to Vegas

Stoffiday

Las Vegas, Nevada— This week, Rhett Stoffiday, starting Goalie of the Yukon Rush, went to Vegas. Not to party, or to see his family, but for work. Mr. Stoffiday had applied for the vacant Assistant General Manager position for the Las Vegas Aces, a team that was his rival last season in the VHLM.

“I applied because I feel like I’d enjoy seeing our sport from a different angle, y’know? I feel like, to better understand our beautiful game, we have to look at both sides. I’d also like to come on home for a while, see my family more.”

Mr. Stoffiday, dressed in a black suit, with a green shirt and purple tie, is well-known to many of the players he would be potentially managing next season.

“These boys are my contemporaries, they’re damn near kin. This is the same team my buddy Alex Pepper plays on to this day. It’d be a mighty fine accomplishment to be able to come help manage this team.”

When asked whether or not the job would remove him from the Rush, he had this to say:

“No, I don’t reckon I’d want to leave the Rush, I’d still want to play…Now that I say that, I can see a bit of a conflict of interest…I didn’t think of that before…Oh dear.”

Still, Stoffiday would sit in the interview, resume in hand, to see if he would help to reshape the franchise that would be losing some of its stars to the impending Season 63 draft. He himself is slated to be drafted in this draft, further putting his future in question.

“Really, I just want stability for my family and for myself. I’d like to stay in one place for a while, and make it my home. What better way to do that then to come home to Vegas for a while, and manage this team?”

Stoffiday has some competition however, as @Jose Gonzalez and @oilmandan would also be vying for the coveted spot.

“Me? I’m not too concerned who they pick, I’m a fairly easy going fellow. I like all the candidates! I know @Jubo07 will pick the best person for the job, regardless.”

What may come off to some as flippancy, is just how Stoffiday is: A down-home kid from Tennessee, who grew up in Vegas, watching his father, the late Wranglers goalie Link Stoffiday, play.

“I think Daddy’d enjoy me trying to come back home. Home was always a huge thing in our family; you had to remember where your home was. He always just wanted me to do everything I could to remember and honor where I came from and who helped me get there, So I feel like I’m doing just that.”

The weekend wasn’t all business, however, as Stoffiday met up with his old friend Alex Pepper at practice, knowing full well that soon, they could be colleagues on the same team.

“We never really talk about it, y’know. Of course @Sonnet knows what I’m working towards, and he’s always mighty supportive, but we never really talk about it like “Oh, I’m gonna be your boss!” He’s my buddy, regardless of whatever title I have or he has.”

UPDATE: As of Sunday evening, @oilmandan has been selected as the Assistant GM of the Las Vegas Aces. We reached out to Rhett for a comment, but he was spending time with his family at the time and did not comment.