Better than McWolf's Mock Draft ( but probably not anymore )

oilmandan

I've already done the Las Vegas and New York post mortems, so here's something a little different to collect tpe. 

Here's the S64 VHL draft according to moi.

1st Overall :nya:New York Americans ( from :tor: Toronto )

So the Legion were so generous to the Americans and gave them what would end up being the 1st overall selection in the S64 draft. 

The Americans have 5 players on their roster going into the draft, so are looking for help at every position except in net where they have their GM player.

Ryan Sullivan Jr is a no brainer at 1st overall. He blew everyone out of the water tpe wise and will pair up with New York captain Joseph McWolf for possibly the next 7 seasons. 

2nd Overall :dav: Davos Dynamo 

The Dynamo finished last in the VHL and were hoping to win the draft lottery. They do however hold 3 picks in the first 9 so will be able to add several solid pieces to their lineup.

Davos has 3 goalies, 3 defensemen and 3 forwards on their roster. Only netminder Rhett Stoffiday can be considered really active though. They are also waiting for GM player Katie Warren to arrive.

There have been rumours that losing the 1st selection didn't affect who the Dynamo would pick anyhow. By the time the draft happens Elias Dahlberg will be highest rated on Davos and they hope he can continue his dominance from the VHLM. Some question Dahlbergs cocky attitude, but the talent is too hard to pass on.

3rd Overall :nya:New York Americans 

The Americans are back in the pool at 3rd overall with their top unit complete, they look to add some depth. 

Smart money says they'll add another forward, possibly Joel Ylonen or Mark Gebauer. We'll go with playmaker Joel Ylonen in this case. Ylonen is the best passer in the draft and is more active in the forums and discord. Hes a good safe pick at 3rd.

4th Overall :cal: Calgary Wranglers ( from :hel: Helsinki )

This is where the draft can really open up in my opinion. Calgary has appeared in the finals the past two seasons and seemed to signal the rebuild was on after trading VHL star Norris Stopko and Mats Johnsson. 

The Wranglers have no goalies at the moment and 5 forwards and 3 defenseman. Netminding is clearly the number one need. Calgary's GM expressed his concern about Brick Wahl being swayed to leave for Quebec as soon as he hits free agency. Both people are very stubborn, and while Wahl denied it, I think Calgary steers clear. It was also said the next GM player for Calgary would be another goalie. I dont believe they kiss and makeup before Tuesday.

I really struggled with this selection, it was an unfortunate situation that occurred this week as it may change the future so several VHL goalies. While both Wahl and Finn Davison ate both going to be starters in the VHL, I believe Wahl has the ability and drive to be on of the best first generation goalies. After a lot of thought, I think the Wranglers do the right thing and in this case go with Brick Wahl at number 4. Too good of prospect to pass up on and if Calgary's GM still feels that Wahl will jump ship, he can trade him at the deadline.

5th Overall :que:Quebec City Meute 

The Meute are in good shape going into S64 and anyone they would be adding would be a depth piece in their rookie season. They have a solid goalie and 4 defensemen and 8 forwards. 2 of the defensemen are entering their final VHL years and this should be the direction Quebec goes in.

The defense depth in this draft isn't the strongest and definitely not like what we saw in the S63 draft. For that reason I think the Meute pull a fast one and pick Pat Svoboda this year and worry about defense later. Svoboda had a very quiet point per game pace with Ottawa and has racked up an impressive amount of tpe while only being around a short time. Maybe not the name people expected but a possibility for a very big home run.

6th Overall :dav: Davos Dynamo ( from :sea: Seattle )

The Dynamo return to the podium and continue to bolster their forward group, this time with centre Mark Gebauer. A safe pick at 6, Gebauer puts up consistent tpe. Not a real sexy pick but no need to go off the board here.

7th Overall :cal: Calgary Wranglers 

With the goaltending issue taken care of for now, Calgary can start adding depth pieces, as their current roster is very good on paper. With only 3 defenders, I think they select Polish star Piotr Jerwa. This offensive defenseman can grow securely on the Wranglers second pairing and not be fed to the wolves right off the bat. Another steady tpe gainer, he has proven he can build solid players, with a stud running back on the powerhouse Oregon Ducks. 

8th Overall :rig: Riga Reign 

The champs finally make their first selection at the tail end of the first round. The Reign are loaded for another run at the cup with 5 defensemen and 8 forwards and a goalie on the roster. It's also a fairly young team except for a couple pieces. They can afford to also be patient with a selection. 

So I say they pick centre Ryan Zabby. Another solid playmaker, Zabby is a slow but steady tpe earner and will be able to develop behind one of the most talented centres in the VHL in Podrick Cast.

2nd Round

9. HC_Dynamo.png HC DAVOS DYNAMO :    RW John Madden
10. Americans.png NEW YORK AMERICANS :  RW Diljodh
11. Titans.png HELSINKI TITANS :  LW Kyson Blake
12. Wranglers.png CALGARY WRANGLERS (from Toronto Legion):   G Finn Davison
13. Americans.png NEW YORK AMERICANS (from Quebec City Meute): D Eric Parker
14. Bears.png SEATTLE BEARS :  C Gucci Garrop
15. Meute.png QUEBEC CITY MEUTE (from Calgary Wranglers):  D Jagger Philliefan
16. Reign.png RIGA REIGN : LW Dan Baillie

If you dont agree, I dont care. This is just my own genius opinion,  and when I get 15 of these wrong tomorrow, you can all let me know! I was 7 for 8 in last years first round if I remember right. Im excited to see some new blood injected into the VHL and hopefully a few more wins for the Americans. 

This is a challenge to you @McWolf. Lets see if you can beat me!
over 1000 words 

December 23, 30

Edited by oilmandan

8 minutes ago, oilmandan said:

4th Overall :cal: Calgary Wranglers ( from :hel: Helsinki )

This is where the draft can really open up in my opinion. Calgary has appeared in the finals the past two seasons and seemed to signal the rebuild was on after trading VHL star Norris Stopko and Mats Johnsson. 

The Wranglers have no goalies at the moment and 5 forwards and 3 defenseman. Netminding is clearly the number one need. Calgary's GM expressed his concern about Brick Wahl being swayed to leave for Quebec as soon as he hits free agency. Both people are very stubborn, and while Wahl denied it, I think Calgary steers clear. It was also said the next GM player for Calgary would be another goalie. I don't believe they kiss and makeup before Tuesday.

I really struggled with this selection, it was an unfortunate situation that occurred this week as it may change the future so several VHL goalies. While both Wahl and Finn Davison are both going to be starters in the VHL, I believe Wahl has the ability and drive to be on of the best first generation goalies. After a lot of thought, I think the Wranglers do the right thing and in this case go with Brick Wahl at number 4. Too good of prospect to pass up on and if Calgary's GM still feels that Wahl will jump ship, he can trade him at the deadline.

Dan I don''t think you've ever been more off base, I think @McWolf will be able to do a more accurate draft because I will not be going this high. Good guess though!