Something to spend on; part 1/2

Quik

So, the first season of the VHL's Brand Sponsorships has come and gone, and has come with fairly mixed reviews. This isn't really a piece on Brands, or the Sponsor's Shield, but one of the points that was brought up by some of the members who are against the idea: that it floods the league with extra money, making the decision to fight depreciation a fairly easy one, as most players can easily save up for the late-career purchases of Old But Not Forgotten and the Jaromir Jagr, while also making purchases earlier in their career as well; that used to be more difficult to accomplish with the league's old salary structure and Player Store.

Something I've proposed before, and something I fully believe in, that could help make purchases a tougher decision again, is the idea of purchasing a career extension. Basically, for a cost between the Jagr and OBNF, a player could decide to extend their career, for as long as they like, while facing much harsher depreciation each time they decide to do so.

End of Part 1. +2 For Bailey

3 minutes ago, Quik said:

So, the first season of the VHL's Brand Sponsorships has come and gone, and has come with fairly mixed reviews. This isn't really a piece on Brands, or the Sponsor's Shield, but one of the points that was brought up by some of the members who are against the idea: that it floods the league with extra money, making the decision to fight depreciation a fairly easy one, as most players can easily save up for the late-career purchases of Old But Not Forgotten and the Jaromir Jagr, while also making purchases earlier in their career as well; that used to be more difficult to accomplish with the league's old salary structure and Player Store.

Something I've proposed before, and something I fully believe in, that could help make purchases a tougher decision again, is the idea of purchasing a career extension. Basically, for a cost between the Jagr and OBNF, a player could decide to extend their career, for as long as they like, while facing much harsher depreciation each time they decide to do so.

End of Part 1. +2 For Bailey

I like it but all the record keepers would be pissed "but all the records would be broken... our history!'

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

I like it but all the record keepers would be pissed "but all the records would be broken... our history!'

You constantly bring that up and yet those of us that have been around for long enough to care constantly say we’re fine with sealing off the record books and just having 2 sets. No one is turning something like this down purely because of records.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

You constantly bring that up and yet those of us that have been around for long enough to care constantly say we’re fine with sealing off the record books and just having 2 sets. No one is turning something like this down purely because of records.

It is true that alot of older members do love the records. Just like the NHL I believe each era should have a record book.

• Commissioner
Just now, Beaviss said:

It is true that alot of older members do love the records. Just like the NHL I believe each era should have a record book.

I never said we don’t like the records. That’s our history. For some of us it’s nearly 12 years of history. I’m not in favour of destroying that.

However to say it will never happen because of the records is being a little ridiculous. I don’t think anyone would be opposed to sealing off the old record books (or even creating fresh ones for different generations which would be interesting) and starting new ones with a change this major.

Yeah, for the record books, we would need to seal the current one off. I'm not sure we need one for every era, but a capped career length record book, and an uncapped record book would definitely be in store.

Would be cool for players to forge new records.

• Commissioner
28 minutes ago, Quik said:

Yeah, for the record books, we would need to seal the current one off. I'm not sure we need one for every era, but a capped career length record book, and an uncapped record book would definitely be in store.

Would be cool for players to forge new records.

I don’t think different eras would matter for something like this to go through. More so just that it could be an interesting project to look at if someone felt inclined. Once the books are sealed it wouldn’t have to be updated post creation so it might be interesting to see on say a 2-3 career length (so every 16-24 seasons). 1-17 would be the only tough ones but the current record books would probably offer enough incite for those.

10 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I don’t think different eras would matter for something like this to go through. More so just that it could be an interesting project to look at if someone felt inclined. Once the books are sealed it wouldn’t have to be updated post creation so it might be interesting to see on say a 2-3 career length (so every 16-24 seasons). 1-17 would be the only tough ones but the current record books would probably offer enough incite for those. 

Yeah, that would be kind of cool to see. Even without sealing the books, it's something we could always go back and do at any point. It's just a matter of deciding on what we want to call an era. Every 20-seasons would be about 3 years, and just over 2 career lengths (if you count pre-draft, a player is around for up to 9.5ish seasons), and have us in our 4th era currently, which sounds about right to me?