Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 8)

Advantage

To :nya:

D - Jack Ryan (S37)

S41 2nd Round Pick (Raphael Pettyfer)

To :oldcgy:

D - Tony Stark (S35)

This was a trade made to move some cap out and Stark was easily the most movable.  Ultimately, Jack Ryan didn’t reach his potential which was a decent second pair guy, like Stark was, and played just 144 games in the Victory Hockey League.  Ryan, who had good potential originally, unfortunately was more preoccupied with the SHL where he decided to call home.  The second round pick acquired was used on Raphael Pettyfer who carved out a solid career over seven seasons, with 368 points during his VHL career.

Stark, as has been mentioned previously, had a successful career as a number three defender who could slot onto the top pairing if needed.  Ultimately, while I did make the move I was a big fan of Stark and had little interest in moving him, so this was a tough one to make.  That being said, strictly on the value of the deal, I think it was decent given the success of the draft pick.

To :nya:

LW - Riley Stevens (S33)

S39 Cologne 1st (Mikkel Boomgaarden)

S39 Riga 1st (Milos Denis)

S40 Cologne 2nd (Christoph Klose)

To :col:

LW - Logan Laich (S37)

RW - Jakob Linholm (S37)

S40 NYA 2nd (Wesley Matthews)

S41 NYA 2nd (Matej Nemecek)

This was a very significant deal and was made to try and lengthen out my team’s success.  I had decided that Wahl, XXX, Slaughter and Low were to be my main core and felt that due to Linholm disappearing and Laich not necessarily being the most skillful, that I could probably afford to make a move like this.  Additionally, I had confirmed already in Free Agency that I was acquiring some talent including Wesley Kellinger, so I needed to make more space.  That being said, I did learn with this trade that sometimes the surefire bet, like Laich, is safer than the top-5 pick that you have zero concerns about.

Ultimately, I think this trade did end up panning out for me despite my concerns a few seasons in.  Mikkel Boomgaarden certainly did not pan out and was a depth defender for his career, despite the incredible success Boragina had in the past.  That being said, Denis and Klose both carved out really good careers, regardless of the fact that Denis did most of his damage as a member of the Quebec City Meute.  Denis recorded 206 goals and 516 points in 576 games and had a career plus/minus of 360.  Denis would win two Continental Cups in his career, both with the Americans in Season 39 and 41.  Christoph Klose had a great career and pretty much saved this deal for me by recording 559 points in 504 games to go along with 1862 hits, which was by far the best numbers that came out of this deal. 

Linholm disappointed in his career with just 280 points in 504 games despite his draft hype that moved him to elite prospect status.  Laich, was more successful, but still offensively challenged, recording 351 points and 1900 hits over his 504 game career.  Finally, Matthews played a short career in the VHL, recording 29 goals and 52 assists in 144 career games.  Ultimately, I think this trade worked out far better than I expected due to the success of Klose, while the likes of Denis had more success on other teams but still had solid careers.

19 hours ago, Beaviss said:

Its interesting looking back to when picks unless they were top 3 held almost no value.

Not always. Boomgaarden actually had a decent amount of tpe and bora was coming off a HOf caliber player.   He just preceded to leave right after 

Just now, Advantage said:

Not always. Boomgaarden actually had a decent amount of tpe and bora was coming off a HOf caliber player.   He just preceded to leave right after 

when your done you can look back on my horrible first trades ? I also like making trades so lots of content there