Matt Thompson vs Podrick Cast: The story so far

Victor

• Admin

If you cast your mind back to the S61 VHL Entry Draft, there was nearly a 3-way decision for the first overall pick. It wasn't really – Seattle was only going to draft a forward, while Quebec was pretty dead set on picking Samuel Gate, which meant it was really down between who would go first – Matt Thompson or Podrick Cast. Thompson was the leader in TPE, belonged to a league commissioner, while Cast's agent had just come back from an 8-season hiatus, so the choice was made.

How does it look four seasons on? Well, Quebec certainly missed out by drafting Gate who subsequently went inactive and never looked like becoming a franchise leader. Cast now leads all S61 draftees in TPE and Thompson has also fallen behind Cast's linemate Edwin Preencarnacion, who was only drafted sixth overall.

But TPE isn't everything and is quite close regardless. On the ice, both Thompson and Cast have nearly matched each other's production and are on the fast track to the Hall of Fame:

Matt Thompson

Podrick Cast

Goals

Goals

S61

S62

S63

S64

Thompson had a slower start and was not quite as ridiculously proficient in the madness that was S62, but seems to be catching up, especially in goal-scoring. Thompson's S64 more or less matches Cast's S62 award-wise, as well as having the additional strength of Boulet Trophies. But it's all still to play for, although one of the two will likely be crowned best S61 player, with Preencarnacion currently projecting for third place, with increasing pressure by the late-blooming GM players Ironside and Louth.

Did Seattle make the right choice four seasons ago? Based on playoff success and the fact Thompson is now heading to free agency – no. However, would the Bears have done better with a high-scoring center compared to a two-way winger? It's tough to say, especially given Thompson did his best to will Seattle to victory both in S62 and S64. Cast's playoff stats are much less impressive but do include a cup in S63.

At the halfway stage, it looks like going down the wire.

• Commissioner

I assume I won’t catch you in points purely because of you getting such a head start in our first two seasons but hopefully I can at least make up the distance as far as goals are concerned.

• Admin
8 hours ago, Beketov said:

I assume I won’t catch you in points purely because of you getting such a head start in our first two seasons but hopefully I can at least make up the distance as far as goals are concerned.

Whatever happens we have such a head start on everyone else (and there was a massive gap between McAllister and us) that it would take something insane for a younger player (S62-64) to match the stats.