Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 16) [1/2]

Advantage

To New York:

Joseph Roy III

To Toronto:

Chuck Goody

This would be my last trade as a GM for the New York Americans.  With the recent moves I made, including the acquisition of Humbert, I saw it as necessary to move out a defender for a forward.  Roy III was one year older but was much more developed than Goody, so I saw an excellent opportunity to make a really good trade that would fill a hole on my team while acquiring a cap friendly player in the prime of his career.  

Roy III would go on to an excellent career that spanned 576 games, recording 474 points over that span as a good second liner throughout his time in the Victory Hockey League.  Goody would fill in as a defensive second pairing defender throughout his career, recording 218 points, 498 hits and 775 blocked shots over a 459 game career.  At the end of the day, I don’t either GM made a bad move here and simply traded for need as a whole.

---

Ultimately, I would like to reflect on my time in New York as a General Manager.  I made a lot of big moves and they didn’t all pan out, but I would like to say that I think most of them did.  The team really had a lot of success and honestly there were a lot of times where I didn’t expect New York to continue being competitive, but I would make it work and make that necessary move to get the team going.

Moves like Labatte, Bentley, Wolf and Tordahl are examples of big moves that worked out for the most part.  Players that had an elite talent brought in to join elite level players like Tom Slaughter, Brick Wahl and Conner Low in hopes of bringing cups to New York.  There are some that probably didn’t work out as well, or at least as well as I had hoped.  The trade for Barnstormer and multiple 1sts ended up being not as good as I hoped.  There are others too like the Landry trade where I just didn’t make the impact I had hoped with the draft pick I acquired.  Overall though, when looking at all of my trades I would say that my record stands solid if looking at wins, losses and ties.  I made 39 trades over my tenure as New York GM and if I were to score it based on reviewing through hindsight I would score it 19 won trades in my favour, 9 that were clear losses and 11 that were trades that went down as pretty clearly even.  A 19-9-11 record is hardly anything to be upset about and I am not overly surprised given the success of the Americans over this period.

Starting with my next article I will look at my tenure as the Stockholm Vikings GM and then will finish with Cologne before looking at my drafting over my entire General Manager tenure (an exercise that I think I will be a lot more disappointed in).

• 3 weeks later...

Review: I really enjoyed this recap of the New York/ Toronto trade. This article provided good information on the players involved and I liked seeing the stats after they were traded. Really well written article, however try adding a picture next time!  

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 16) [1/2]