the Swedish Sensations [2/2]

aleks

"For some reason," Sederstrom started, "I always remember my parents being like, 'Okay, you cleaned your room in 45 seconds last time, lets see what you get today. lets see if you can beat your brother,'" 

"And its funny, because I never did, but irregardless, that competition or rivalry was always there between my brother and I. And I guess it carried over into elementary school, high school, and into our professional lives..."

"...and, I guess when I look back at how the cards fell, I... I really do have my brother to thank, because I always lacked the drive to do things, just in general. I got a bit jealous when Jo would go off and do stuff on his own and get all the praise. I just finished High School right? It wasn't long ago where I would lay down on my bed with my phone and just wonder where things would go on in the future, it's scary to me."

Neither of the Sederstrom twins thought they'd be pursuing a career in professional hockey, as most kids maybe wish to be a Fireman, or an Astronaut, or maybe an evil scientist. Their parents just thought that it would be a good pastime for the kids, keep them active. Nothing matched their surprise when the contract offer arrived in the mail from Houston.

His dad decided to comment on the whole event:

"I was a cross country Skier, my wife was a figure skater," the burly father said, pointing to his wife, "Our nephew is a soccer player, my brother was a boxer. So compete is just in our nature. I always told my sons about the stories of our families and the like, how they found their own pride in competing and winning. About how they were able to make a name for themselves. Of course, I didn't expect them to go off and play professional hockey! What kind of parent puts that type of pressure on their children?"

"I definitely look up to my family you know, they all are accomplished athletes, at times I ask them how they deal with the pressure, the interviews, talking to the managers and agents and the fans. The fans are a big part of this for me because it wasn't long ago that I was sitting at my TV wishing I could pull the moves that some of my favourite players did. I've sat in the stands for hockey games myself when i was 12 or 13, wearing those big earmuffs kids wear to protect their hearing. I'm glad I did because the fans had always turned the arenas into super high energy places. Part of me once to be at the center of all that attention, and part of me want to not do that because i hate public speaking."

It almost seems like its an impossible story, something you'd be laughed out of the room for. A background that you'd only see in some sort of plot line straight out of Disney. Two brothers are born 12 minutes apart, they're good at just about any sport they play. Playing beneath streetlights underneath the dark northern sky. 

At 17, the twins from Ornskoldsvik are signed in free agency and move to the Houston Bulls of the VHLm. The question as to how they would produce when separated, didn't even have to be asked, as they both were able to move to the same team.

Well, you've got pretty pale skin so I don't think that'll last too long, huh?

"Of course! It's so much more hotter. Houston is definitely a lot different compared to Ornskoldsvik, so it's definitely taking a while for me to adjust to everything going on here. I've gone to the Space Center, the Museum of Natural Science, and the Johnson Space Centre. I've gone down to the beach, which is definitely a lot warmer than the ones we have in Sweden, haha," he laughed,

"I don't know, it feels like I've taken a completely different step in my life. I'm reading about other people who i've never seen in my life talk about what I can bring to the city and the Houston Bulls. They're praising me as if i'm already a proven player, I'm gonna be all over social media for a good couple weeks, Twitter, facebook, all sorts of Forums. Iv'e got my own fair share of haters, people that are saying that we were a waste of a contract slot so its kind of annoying, but we will see. It's definitely a lot different than me playing road hockey with a wooden stick. Now I'm here using some carbonfibre/fibreglass type sticks, I've got companies approaching me for commercials and adverts. My agent has definitely been a big help in getting me to adjust to like in the United States."

So needless to say its definitely been a new experience?

"I used to work a minimum wage retail job in Sweden, at a store called LIDL, I believe you guys here would call it a 'dollar store,' so it's not like im not familiar at all with saving and investing and stuff. I got a nice apartment with a nice rink, because ive lived for 17 years with Joakim and he smells," laughter filled the room, "I don't know - I know im saying 'I dont know,' a lot but it's just hard for me to put into words the opportunity I'm given, its just that its not every day you're given a multi million dollars to go play a sport where you slap a rubber disc with a stick overseas in the United States you know? I have trouble thinking of the word Americans would use... Surreal, I think?"

Alright Ludvig, we're running out of time. Is there anything you'd like to say to the fans before we cut rolling?

"The fans here are great, the city is beautiful, so I definitely think I'll stay here for a while. I hope I can give back to the city later on, and maybe make a mark on the franchise going forward, since it's a new team. Hockey has changed as a sport, so its interesting to see that impact players get younger and younger so we will see where my brother and I go. Thanks for cheering me on guys."

1058 words

Review - New to the league and have only review a handful of things at this point, but I like how you gave that brief interview from the father. A very influential person in most athletes lives, mine for sure, and something that most of us can relate to and really helps to humanize your player. I have a brother very close in age and even at a 2 year age gap I can relate on so many levels to the friendly rivalry and bond created through these little competitions as children. Overall nice bio and I am a little worried about playing you, thinking that twin telepathy might make it hard to shut the two of you down. Good luck this coming season!

Edited by RunnerBert11
Grammar & Spelling

Review:

I wish there were an introduction to the player(s) at the beginning of the article. It took me a little time to understand who the story was about. I don't think you even mention the brothers first names in full until near the end. But still, I really enjoyed this biography. I like that you discussed the brothers main driver for success, an innate sense of competition. It's great you added information from the father as well. Thank you for writing this story.

Review- Great read! I loved the introduction you gave to the brothers, and how you encapsulated what it’s like to have a sibling rivalry, and the personalities you put into all parties involved in this piece. The father seems like your typical dad. Great job of humanizing your player. Also, really enjoyed the interview questions. The “pale skin” line got me haha. Glad to be a member of the Houston Bulls with you, man. Nice job.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:18 AM, Jake Levine said:

Review- Great read! I loved the introduction you gave to the brothers, and how you encapsulated what it’s like to have a sibling rivalry, and the personalities you put into all parties involved in this piece. The father seems like your typical dad. Great job of humanizing your player. Also, really enjoyed the interview questions. The “pale skin” line got me haha. Glad to be a member of the Houston Bulls with you, man. Nice job.

Same as what I said on your other one. No article can have more than 2 reviews. Please review something else.