ECN Draft Interview "Shane Mars"

FrostBeard

ECN - Copy.jpg

Draft Interviews

Shane Mars Pre Draft.png

ECN draft interviews is a way how to understand what draftees want in their future teams and what are their expectations for the next season. This time we are looking at one of the most promising young players coming into VHL this season. Probably, the closest competitor to HHH when it comes to the first-year impact. Shane Mars had a truly monstrous season in VHLM - his team won Founder's Cup and he personally was able to finish being Top 5 in points and 2nd in VHLM in goals. An amazing player worth every bit of recognition before the draft.

Questions

- Huge thanks for freeing up some time for an interview. To start off, how would you rank your first season?

- My pleasure! Always happy to take time out to talk to the media.  My first full season didn't start off quite as I would have hoped.  After coming into the league and winning the Playoff MVP last season in a losing effort, I kind of expected to pick right back up where I left off.  But the regular season is a whole different animal compared to the playoffs.  Obviously, I'm thrilled with how everything ended up.  Founders cup, top 5 in points, 2nd in goals, 1st in +\-. I feel like I really came out and proved that I'm not just a talented player, but I'm a talented player who will work hard to improve.
- Who was the biggest influence to you on your first season?

- The biggest influence in my first season was actually my fellow draftee HHH.  All year I've been slotted into the #2 spot in the draft ranking behind him. It pushed me to try and prove to everyone that I should be the top-ranked prospect.  He had the advantage of higher ice time than me, but I think I came out and proved that the race is closer than some people think.
- Now to the current draft. Which are the teams that you would like to join in VHL after the draft?

- I'd be happy to go to any VHL team.  Obviously, I would love to go first overall to Moscow. How often does a player have a chance to solidify himself in a team's record book like this?  I would love to hear for years after my retirement "Moscow player X is chasing Shane Mars' goal record" and things like that.  But Davos is an up and coming team as well, just missing the playoffs last year, with lots of draft capital that I think I would step nicely into. And Calgary has made moves to jump into the contender discussion.  I can't think of a single franchise I wouldn't be happy to play for.
- In the end, what do you believe will future bring for you and what is that you want to say to GM's looking at you as a potential draft pick?

- I know that I bring goals to a team, but I also backcheck hard and play a full ice game. Teams drafting me should expect a 200ft franchise winger and a cup in their near future.

- Thanks for taking finding time to do this, good luck in the draft!

- Thanks!

ECN is wishing Shane Mars all the success and ability to achieve greatness on ice as well as off the ice!

People mentioned: @Spade18 and @Beaviss