Return to the Wrike; Mexico City shows promise

As we march on in the season, Wrike Chyrnoble gets a moment to sit down with media to give a bit of feedback in regards to his experience so far with Mexico City.  Currently sitting at 8-7-1, the Kings have had an interesting path so far.  Leading the league in goals against, many would be looking to see them near the top... But just as dominant as the defense has been, the offense has been the opposite.

"They will find their rhythm, until then I will keep doing the job I was brought here to do.  I'm finding answers to facilitate my own game, always searching for a way to better my team." Chyrnoble noted.

The young netminder, only 16 years old, has taken the season by storm and analysts constantly remind everyone to not pay attention to the wins and losses.

"Wrike has been impressive in his ability to keep the Kings in a position to win most nights.  That's all you can do as a goaltender, especially when you have a stagnant offense.  You have to grind and you have to prevent games from being blown open when the shots are in fact that way." Dolph D'Attimore explained to the VHL Standard.

Wrike leads the league at a blistering .932 save percentage this season, yet still has only compiled a 8-7-1 record with 3 shutouts.  The prospect of a 16 year old setting the bar surprises many, with the exception of one... himself.

"I'm confident back there.  I'm feeling good.  Most of all my team believes in me.  It takes a team effort to compete at this level.  All of us have the aspiration to get to the next level and it is about taking advantage of the opportunity at hand.  Right now I feel like we are all in a race to get to this next step.  The Kings will figure out our offensive woes and bring this full circle."

Currently the Kings sit tied for 7th in the league after a recent comeback that came up just short to the 1st place Ottawa Lynx.  After trailing through the first two periods by a score of 3-0, the Kings found their groove as Boris the Forest potted two in back to back shifts mid-way through the 3rd.  Unfortunately, Mexico City quieted down and fell short on their valiant effort.

Boris the Forest has been the catalyst this season leading the team in both goals and assists, while Aleksander Rodriguez and Michael Scott are the only other two players with 5 or more goals on the season.  To add perspective, the league leading Lynx has 9 different players with 5 or more goals heading into our weekend slate. 

On the docket for the weekend, Mexico City will face off against the Las Vegas Aces, who currently sit 9th in the league.  Next up will be the Minnesota Storm, who are the other team tied with the Kings.  It will be a test for sure as we continue to reach the mid-season grind and continue to siphon out the quality of competition within the league.  With the team itself being young, it is only a matter of time to show whether their desire is to improve or fall to the depths of the league in their inaugural season.