Hounds's Smith Could Play D For Wranglers Next Season

cody73

As teams finish up the playoffs and start to get ready to draft certain players, other VHLM players are instead preparing for the jump to the VHL as they were drafted the previous season. Cody Smith, last years captain of the Mississauga Hounds, is one of these players, having been drafted by the Calgary Wranglers 42nd overall.... however, instead of playing LW like most would expect, rumours have been circulating he could instead be a key piece of Calgary's blue line. When asked to comment on this, Smith replied to the media: 

"I put the team ahead of my own goals and I've played defence before during my short stint in beer-hockey. Given that I'm slowly getting better as a skater, I think it makes sense... I'm strong defensively, I can lay the body, I have a solid slap shot.... and I know Calgary can find wingers in the next couple of drafts that could fulfil the role I'd play on the wing. It'd be an adjustment, but we've seen guys make the transition and play fine. I think I'd bring a edge to the Wranglers blue line, especially given the core is getting older. It really comes down to what the coaches want. If they want to be a winger, I'll play wing. If they want me to play defence, I'll play defence. It's simple as that." 

Smith makes some fair points. The winger is coming off an 87 point season for the Hounds, having scored 45 goals & added 42 helpers. He tallied up 172 hits & 28 blocked shots. The skill set is definitely there, as is his desire. This is a player whose had to overcome two mental disabilities, once of which affects his muscles. If he were to be a member of the Wranglers blue line, I think he'd do a good job and having him train in the off season to prepare for this alleged transition is a smart decision by the Wrangler coaches. It gives him time to work on his areas of weakness and make them strengths of his game, as well as the ability to be ahead of his rookie class in certain aspects. In addition, I think his main weapon, which happens to be his shot, would be a great thing to have from the point. His goal scoring might go down, but his efficiency would certainly go up, as would his teammates scoring numbers off of rebounds more than likely. I also think that spending time on the blue line would help sharpen his skating, which while it's gotten better, is still not as strong as you'd like it to be from a top winger. That being said, it really comes down as to how his coaches want to use him, as his skill set is very versatile and he could be an asset no matter where he plays. 

When asked if this move could be a ploy to make free agents stay or leave, Smith replied: 

"I don't know if anybody on the team is leaving  free agency or if a job will open up on the blue line. What I know is that I'm open to making this change if my coaches ask me to. I'm comfortable playing left wing. I'm comfy playing right wing. I'm comfy playing defence. I care about winning. That's what this boils down to for myself. I want to help my team win. I offered to play defence if we needed a blue liner. That's all. It's honestly not that big of a deal."