Malmo Nighthawks: Who to Protect?

Advantage

The Malmo Nighthawks will join nine other teams this off-season in protecting nine players prior to an Expansion Draft that will see one of theirs get snapped up.  The Nighthawks were in the opposite position just two seasons ago and were able to pick up players including Matthew Materazo, Jack Lynch and Teagan Glover.  Now with the Nighthawks having to protect their own, lets take a look at who I will likely protect.  I technically do not know for sure but these are just a list of the most likely players.  The rumour I have heard is that we will be able to protect eight players plus our GM player so I will go off that consensus.

F – Lucas Nygren – Due to being the General Manager’s player, Lucas Nygren will get protected for sure.  This winger led all rookies in scoring this season with 63 points in 72 games and is expected to be a finalist for the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy.  Additionally, he projects strongly as a future top line player for the Nighthawks once he enters his prime.

F – Phil Marleau – I really see no reason not to protect our third overall pick for Season 67.  Marleau also expects to be a finalist for the “Stolzy” after a 51 point season that also saw him lead the Victory Hockey League in hits.  This two-way center is trending quickly to being an all-star and is one of the easiest protections for myself to make this off-season.

F – Matthew Materazo – Our leading scorer and someone that I consider a significant leader on our team.  Matt is in his prime and is starting to show it and with his continued growth, he could make a few more all-star teams in the future.  In order to keep my team competitive, I definitely have to protect Materazo and I know he loves playing in Malmo.

F – Jack Lynch – Another one of my Expansion picks.  Lynch has been a consistent player for the Nighthawks and has been a feature in our top six since arriving.  He has been a good member and is active in our LR and on the site.  Like Materazo, Lynch’s activity will likely mean he is selected as he is one of the most developed forwards on the team.

F – Trevor Van Lagen – One of our third round picks in Season 67 was TVL, and he is proving to be a massive steal.  With already over 400 TPE, this center seems firmly projected as the team’s future and potentially present second line center.  While this isn’t a lock he outpaces everyone else I can protect when considering draft year and total points earned.

D – Jerry Garcia – My team’s captain and the member I consult with the most about the league.  He also has a damn fine defender who has been on our top pairing for the first two seasons of his career.  I expect nothing to change this year with Garcia being a reliable and dependable two-way defender for a long time with Malmo.

D – Rusty Shackleford – The second round pick in Season 66 has developed very well as well.  While being more defensively oriented, Shackleford had a very successful rookie season offensively, with 46 points recorded.  Time will tell if he continues to improve but as a very young defender and already the second best on the team, he’s pretty much a lock to be protected.

D – Hugh Chan – Probably the toughest protect on the list.  Chan has developed really well as a third round pick for us.  With 294 TPE as a S67 draftee, he is well on his way to being a really good defender.  With that being said, he and Wilcox are around the same TPE and that isn’t even looking at guys like Glover, Pajari, Gaudette, etc. who all are higher TPE tho are a bit older.

G – Michael Johnson – He’s the goalie of my future and is projecting very well to say the least.  Not much more is needed to be said on him.  We are thrilled to call him a Nighthawk for as long as he wants to be one.

Who is Available Then?

S61 - C – Mikka Pajari (514 TPE)

S65 – C – Teagan Glover (462 TPE)

S64 – D – Basaraba Moose (377 TPE)

S65 – RW – Brian Strong (302 TPE)

S66 – LW – Blake Gaudette (298 TPE)

S67 – RW – Dalton Wilcox (291 TPE)

S66 – D – Morpheus Destructious (270 TPE)

S67 – LW – Brendan Plunkett (219 TPE)

S67 – LW – Koda Adok (208 TPE)

S67 – LW – Chett Bandy (173 TPE)

S67 – D – David Lindberg (159 TPE)

Pretty wild list and really indicative of how strong my Season 67 draft was considering I made 9 picks and 8 turned out to be active despite only 3 players being selected in the first two rounds.  Wilcox seems like an obvious pick from this list but with how active the likes of Gaudette and Glover can be along with other active prospects like Plunkett and Adok, it may not be such an easy pick after all.

Edited by Advantage