Wroclaw Times - Eagles completes first VHL Season

Greg_Di

Saros-and-Rinne.jpg

The season has finally ended and Greg Eagles has played in his first VHL Season. It was an up and down season but many saw the future potential of this up and coming prospect. He has learned quite a bit from his team-mates and especially the teams veteran goalies Kingfisher.

Eagles played in 19 games this season with 16 of those being full game starts. His record was pretty good going 6-7-3 with a .902 save percentage and a 2.85 GAA. He was given more starts then the league required minimum which shows that his team and coaches have faith in his abilities.

The 2.85 GAA landed Eagles 7th overall in the league but since he only played 19 games you can’t really compare him to other goalies who played a full season. Yet it is still impressive that he managed to pull of those numbers in his rookie season.

“ I think as my first season as a backup that I put up pretty respectable numbers. I tried to give my team the best chance to win every night and to also show everyone what I am capable of” Said Eagles “ I am happy with my stats and next year my goal will be to do even better and improve on those stats, I think we will have a great team next season which will help in that goal”

With Eagles getting 19 games this helped Kingfisher with his workload and to make sure Kingfisher was rested and at 100% for the playoffs. This tactic seems to have paid off as Kingfisher currently has the second best Save % and GAA in the playoffs. He also seems to be playing much better then he did in the first half of the season.

“ It’s a long season for sure, especially after being in the league for so long and doing this season after season, its good to get some rest and have your backup play” Said Kingfisher “ I think it was important for me to get rest and for me to understand that it is ok to take a break. It has definitely paid off as I feel great heading into the playoffs”

“It changes every year, how many games we rest our starter but you would have to ask Kingfisher how it affected him. Maybe the mental rest helped, you know helped him sort of reset. We always discuss how much we want to play our number 1 and how much we want to play our number 2 for development purposes” Said the Wolves coach “I think that both our goalies are very professional and are helping each other out, I know Eagles learned a lot from Kingfisher and hopefully that will carry over when he becomes our future starter"

The focus now, for Eagles, is to be the support system on the bench. He can be seen helping the coach with plays and talking to his team-mates on how to find more open space. The Wolves currently have a 3-2 series lead and are hoping to close out the series tomorrow.

Edited by Greg_Di