Congrats Vancouver [1/2]

Mr_Hatter

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mr_Hatter said:

Congradulations.png.d46a9f01e4fae1214af66f13c4fdabe2.png 

@Beaviss Not much of a graphic, but I thought I'd ping you for it. Congrats on the cup!

I'd say the strongest part here is the application of the 'celebration silhouette' stock to a gradient background and using a layer mask to crop the trophy in front of the 'Congratulations' text, and choosing a decent color scheme/palette for the graphic and some half-decent but nothing awe-inspiring text work.

I don't like how the 'C' in Congratulations is capitalized, it throws off the symmetry of the piece. In terms of design, a one-word or few-word-slogan that is centered on a graphic, should be case-consistent and usually all caps imo. Same with the "angle" gradient used, that sharp change in the gradient on the left-side of the graphic.  The same premise can be applied to the foreground text as well. I think it would look cleaner/more designer if the text was stylized the same way in terms of character size.

Also the right-hand side of the graphic has a weird glitchy 1 pixel board where it jutts out for 2 pixels for only like 10 pixels vertically. Just an indication of careless work.

a p p r o v a l  g an g     but idk maybe some people might deem this low effort... i don't want to judge anybody.

@gorlab

Definitely fair on that pixel line issue, I noticed it after I uploaded, but as far as low effort, this took me like an hour or two to make... I'm not great at graphics, so learning how to do the layer mask and the words right took me a long time, and I have to go over tutorials every time I want to do that.

I appreciate the design critiques though, something good to think about. I'm not sure I would like having the bottom text be all capitalized aesthetically, but to be fair I didn't try doing it all caps, so maybe it would have looked better, but I can see where the Congradulations could be all caps. 

One thing I have found is often times I feel like graphics on this site tend to be super involved, with a bunch of crazy effects going on, and I kinda like having minimalist designs that are a little more simple. Which of course means they have to be consistent (ie, not mine, like you pointed out with the pixel issue) and high quality (not exactly mine either, at least not yet). Definitely room for improvement, but not everyone is putting out great stuff the 3rd time they've ever used GIMP ;)

12 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

@gorlab

Definitely fair on that pixel line issue, I noticed it after I uploaded, but as far as low effort, this took me like an hour or two to make... I'm not great at graphics, so learning how to do the layer mask and the words right took me a long time, and I have to go over tutorials every time I want to do that.

I appreciate the design critiques though, something good to think about. I'm not sure I would like having the bottom text be all capitalized aesthetically, but to be fair I didn't try doing it all caps, so maybe it would have looked better, but I can see where the Congradulations could be all caps. 

One thing I have found is often times I feel like graphics on this site tend to be super involved, with a bunch of crazy effects going on, and I kinda like having minimalist designs that are a little more simple. Which of course means they have to be consistent (ie, not mine, like you pointed out with the pixel issue) and high quality (not exactly mine either, at least not yet). Definitely room for improvement, but not everyone is putting out great stuff the 3rd time they've ever used GIMP ;)

Very fair points and I agree that sometimes minimal/clean graphics like this one can be definitely be overlooked in terms of being "good". I do try and appreciate minimalistic and clean/straight forward graphic designs such as this one. I'm just trying to set your expectations for what you may face down the road in terms of grading/reviews. I'm by no means the authority on graphics on the VHL or any sim league.... but what you pointed out is definitely fair and to be considered!