Matt O GM Chronicles

Matt_O

My reign in Vegas can be described in three stints. A horrific first season that might be the worst GM season in the history of the league (to be fair the trades I made weren't terrible at the time I made them, they just ended up blowing up in my face), to a solid second season that saw us put up incredible offensive numbers but we still underachieved because we didn't have an elite goalie. This year I would like to think that I became a respectable GM and learned from my many mistakes. I traded Lahtinen to the Wild for a good return and Gutzwiler to Halifax for a good return as well.

My first season was capped by a couple terrible trades, where I learned the key lesson of not to make trades just for the sake of trading. This lesson was learned in the Finnegan MacBurn trade, where he became much more active as soon as I traded him, while the guy I got back went inactive quickly. I also learned not to force trades just because I have messaged a GM back and forth. I did this a couple times but I don't remember an exact instance off the top of my head.

I also have made some drafting miscues to say the least. In S68 I drafted a retired player (in my defense there was never a post made in the retirement section but still pretty embarrassing on my part) and also drafted a goalie that would end up playing in the VHL. That wasn't as bad of a move since it was a good risk to take in the third round, but still unfortunate. It's unfortunate that as soon as I start to learn from my mistakes, my activity takes a hit and I no longer am going to be a GM. But what can you do. 

All in all my horrible first season clouded the rest of what was a somewhat respectable GMing career. I hope my acquisitions of S71 draft picks can help the future Aces GM win a chip.

@Matt_O always a pleasure to work with you in GM world. You're a good guy and I don't want anyone reading this article to think otherwise.

Remember, the point of VHLM GMing is keeping people engaged, rather than winning. If the Aces aren't doing well, it's OK, so long as you're still doing what you should be doing. Winning is just a bonus, says Gustav, another GM who sucks at winning.

Hope to see you back in the fold soon!

Good luck in your future projects, bud. You definitely didn't do as bad as you think, though I understand in retrospect it's easy to point at some mistakes. I'm sure other VHLM GMs will miss working with you.