GM 360: Quebec vs. Cologne

JardyB10

And here I am, not playing my back-up for an additional 9th game because I wanted to be fair and not have an unfair impact on the race between the top-teams... Guess that was a stuipid rookie GM mistake which cost me some draft spots :)

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

• Admin

And here I am, not playing my back-up for an additional 9th game because I wanted to be fair and not have an unfair impact on the race between the top-teams... Guess that was a stuipid rookie GM mistake which cost me some draft spots :)

You might have to explain how you starting your backup here would have impacted the title race, how Quebec benefited from doing an extra backup game and how you lost a draft position by winning this game.

You might have to explain how you starting your backup here would have impacted the title race, how Quebec benefited from doing an extra backup game and how you lost a draft position by winning this game.

I didn't mean the title race, just the race between the different playoff-teams which I didn't want to influence in any way by losing on purpose, even though losing that game would have been good for me. The situation was the following: Quebec was already safe as the 2nd seed in NA so they get home-ice advantage for the playoffs no matter what. In the East on the other hand Vasteras and Riga were still in a battle for 2nd, both one point behind behind Quebec in the overall standings. They played against Helsinki and Calgary respectively, so them winning was almost a lock.

And apparently Quebec thought "Well if this last game is meaningless for us, we can just lose it and help our draft position". And that's just what they did, they put in their back-up for an extra 9th game and lost against us while Riga and Vasteras won. So Riga and Vasteras passed Quebec in the overall standings, improving Quebecs pick (if they don't go all the way in the playoffs) from 8th overall to 6th overall and dropping the Riga and Vasteras picks, who both belong to us, by one spot each. I guess this isn't forbidden but I'm still frustrated because even though I sold at the deadline I refused to lose on purpose and now this comes back to bite me in the ass. But I'll take it as a learning experience, next time I'm in a race for a good pick I will do everything I can to tank my way to it. Just was a very frustrating day in general yesterday, with losing three lottery draws and then having two of my other picks unexpectedly drop a spot last-minute as well due to a weird game like this one.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

It's out of anyone's control that QUE G sucked even though the majority of his games were Helsinki, Calgary and Cologne.

Quebec isn't even thinking about draft pick position tbh. QUE G is recorded with 9GP because Tukio was given a game misconduct for abuse of officials and QUE G came in and let in a bunch of goals to lose the game so he gets credited the loss. If you check the games started column it shows QUE G started 8 games, coming in for a misconduct or after starter is pulled doesn't count toward the 8.

It's out of anyone's control that QUE G sucked even though the majority of his games were Helsinki, Calgary and Cologne.

Quebec isn't even thinking about draft pick position tbh. QUE G is recorded with 9GP because Tukio was given a game misconduct for abuse of officials and QUE G came in and let in a bunch of goals to lose the game so he gets credited the loss. If you check the games started column it shows QUE G started 8 games, coming in for a misconduct or after starter is pulled doesn't count toward the 8.

:yeahthat:

Frank and Koradek both suck for sending me lines.  I doubt they were concerned with the intricacies as much as you.  I scheduled QUE G to play the last games, because they never told me to start him any other time.  It just worked out shitty for you.

But yeah, I wouldn't have faulted you for tanking this game to ensure a potential spot higher in the draft.  But if it's any consolation, if Quebec gets out of Round 1, it's all a moot point anyway, since you'd get 6th overall no matter what.