Flowers to Start S70 on the Second Line?

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for wilting flower"

New York -- Following Season 68, Lance Flowers was the toast of the town in New York - the second overall pick, a Rookie of the Year trophy, and a spot on the top line for years to come. However, Season 69 saw him take a major step back - his points, hits and plus/minus were all down, while his penalty minutes were up. Meanwhile, the Americans saw top-flight play from fellow defensemen Kevin Low and Fredrik Elmebeck, outpacing Flowers in most categories.

It seems that this poor play has stuck in the minds of management as we enter Season 70. Early reports out of New York say that Flowers will begin the season on the team's second line, alongside rookie David O'Quinn. Meanwhile, Elmebeck and the recently (re)acquired Joseph McWolf will be the team's top line pairing to start the year.

A statement from the team explains that this change is primarily due to styles of play - McWolf and Flowers are both checking-heavy and pass-first defensemen, and having them on the same line would cannibalize those strengths. That is not to say, though, that Flowers isn't using the demotion as a motivating tool.

"Of course I'm going to do what's best for the team. But of course I also want to be on that top line," Flowers said in a recent press statement regarding the rumors. "Whatever happens will happen. But I intend to show people just what I can do, and that last season was a total fluke. Get ready for the year of the Flowers."

Especially with the additions of McWolf and center Joel Ylonen, the Americans intend to be a contender in the North American conference this season. Last year, the team rode a late hot streak to a third seed, where they lost to eventual champions Seattle in the first round.

28 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

However, Season 69 saw him take a major step back - his points, hits and plus/minus were all down,

Underrated dman for sure. Will have to wait for when I'm home to post, but a lot of your underlying numbers were really, really good last year. Turnovers, zone entries, etc. Will make sure to tag you when I get that posted.