Dead Idols

BluObieZ

I think the reason more attention goes to celebrities deaths is that certain people are affected personally by certain celebrities. Of course a lot of people won’t see the death of Kobe as different than anyone else, but for others his death will bring back memories of trying to be like him in their driveway, or watching his most memorable games. Memories that mean something to those people. And when they see his unfortunate passing, it’s shocking and upsetting. Is it irrational to value his death as more than the others on the helicopter? Yes. But it’s still bound to happen because he affected so many people, and they have those fond memories of him, even if they’ve never met.

I do think people shouldn’t expect you to care like they do, and I agree with you on that. But to me, it’s kinda disrespectful to put out an unprompted status update (correct me if there was something that led to that) that says something along the lines of “am I the only one who doesn’t give a fuck that Kobe died?” It’s okay to not care, because Kobe didn’t affect you, and to be honest I haven’t been affected by him or his death much either. It’s a whole other thing to just bring it up with no reason behind it, when you could just let the situation calm down with time. To me that’s just disrespectful to the people who were actually affected by his death, and you’re just looking for a reaction from them.

Not trying to start an argument, just throwing my opinion into the mix. In short, it’s alright not to care, whether that’s rational or not, since we hear about death all the time. But it’s best to let the situation play itself out instead of making sure everyone knows how little you care. It can be frustrating when all you see is about something you don’t really care about, but you just gotta respect that some people care a lot about it, and let time pass until people move on.

I think what happened to is that more people feel a connection with Kobe than say a war veteran. More people have played basketball than went to war. It's about who you feel a connection to more than what you should and should not mourn or what you should and should not care about. People like basketball. People liked Kobe Bryant. People don't like war, people don't watch war happen on a daily basis. Which is why more people mourn the death of Kobe rather than those who sadly got shot down in Iran.

I agree and disagree with some of the parts. I think both should be equally mourned. I also think you can't tell people how they feel about a certain thing. Like if they want to mourn let them. They felt the connection. Their feelings are valid.