Cross Continental Rivalry

Caboose30

A Strange Beginning to a Bizarre Rivalry

Image result for San Diego MarlinsVS  image.png.2147c8eb1def378d88acf44cdb0a7bf0.png

When normal people hear San Diego vs Philadelphia, they think East vs West, Calm game, in no way shape or form does any sort of heated rivalry cross their minds. But, for two players the games between these two squads are circled and underlined in bold red ink. Ike Bennett of the San Diego Marlins and Jared Spaz @Spaz of the Philadelphia Reapers, both drafted by the the Helsinki Titans during the S70 draft, with Spaz going at no.8 and Bennett going moments later at no.17.  That alone kindled a rivalry between these two for as long as they remain on separate teams in the VHLM.

So far the two clubs have played 4 games against each other with neither team holding an advantage over the other. Both teams have won twice and neither has won by more than 2 goals. Between Spaz and Bennett however, Spaz does hold a lead points wise, with 4 to Bennett's 1. However, Bennett holds a plus/minus advantage in that same span.Speaking of plus/minus San Diego's first line is the top 3 in plus/minus for the entire league, with Bennett leading the charge so far at a staggering +39. Comparatively Spaz is only at +15, still respectable but no where near Bennett. Meanwhile in the point department Spaz leads Bennett with 26 points in 23 games to Bennett's 14 points in 23 games.

When asked about the rivalry Bennett responded very calm and professionally, stating "Well yea of course I'm going to razz him before our games. We both got drafted to Helsinki and that kinda gives us a base for being friends off the ice. But on the ice he's standing in between me and a cup, it's just that simple." 

Spaz responded very similarly saying "It's hockey, off the ice I have nothing but respect for him, but on the ice I'm going to do everything in my power to beat him and then let him know exactly who is beating him." in reference to his antics after scoring a natural hat trick in their first game against each other, where Spaz took a hat on the ice and threw it at Bennett. 

With both players doing there best to beat the other, it has led to both players growing at an exponential rate, not to mention makes for some amazing hockey to watch. Both players are ridiculously gifted offensively that whenever they get on the ice, good things just seem to happen for their team.

Unfortunately this rivalry will most likely only last the one season since Spaz will likely get the call up to the big club this offseason. However, if it were to be prolonged another season this rivalry would be something to watch as both clubs are poised to be strong contenders for the cup for the next couple years. Of course the general manager of Helsinki @Jubo07 must be excited to see two of his top prospects pushing each other towards greatness. So in two years from now, it wouldnt be much of a surprise to see both of these players playing on the same line and become the backbone for Helsinki in years to come.

(532 words, claimed Feb 3rd - Feb 9th)

6 minutes ago, Caboose30 said:

Of course the general manager of Helsinki @Jubo07 must be excited to see two of his top prospects pushing each other towards greatness. So in two years from now, it wouldnt be much of a surprise to see both of these players playing on the same line and become the backbone for Helsinki in years to come.

Sounds like a plan to me!